Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:49 AM   #1

Default Thank You And Now The Owner of an E-3

I would like to thank everyone for their comments on my E-1 post a few days back. I took everyone's advice and bought an E-3 and a deal I did get. Body only in extremely nice condition with body cap, neck strap, four batteries, charger, seven CF cards of varying capacity, two card adaptors, new Promaster neck strap, Promaster camera bag, manual, and one extra rubber eyecup. No cables but I never use the cables to begin with and I must have some laying around here. Final cost to me, $300.00 plus $17.95 for priority shipping. Shipping wasn't included in the sale. I've been watching eBay for a while and the last two E-3's went for nearly $500.00 with no extra batteries or CF cards. Hopefully the camera will look as nice as it appears in the photos and with no issues. Well now I am contemplating how much to ask for my E-PL2 and the two lenses I have for it. I think it would be better to sell the 40-150 separately.
I'm not so sure I will see a difference in IQ between my E-PL2 and the E-3, but I just feel more comfortable with a larger body in my hand.

Last edited by James Emory; Apr 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I would like to thank everyone for their comments on my E-1 post a few days back. I took everyone's advice and bought an E-3 and a deal I did get. Body only in extremely nice condition with body cap, neck strap, four batteries, charger, seven CF cards of varying capacity, two card adaptors, new Promaster neck strap, Promaster camera bag, manual, and one extra rubber eyecup. No cables but I never use the cables to begin with and I must have some laying around here. Final cost to me, $300.00 plus $17.95 for priority shipping. Shipping wasn't included in the sale. I've been watching eBay for a while and the last two E-3's went for nearly $500.00 with no extra batteries or CF cards. Hopefully the camera will look as nice as it appears in the photos and with no issues. Well now I am contemplating how much to ask for my E-PL2 and the two lenses I have for it. I think it would be better to sell the 40-150 separately.
I'm not so sure I will see a difference in IQ between my E-PL2 and the E-3, but I just feel more comfortable with a larger body in my hand.
Hi James,

Well congratulations. I hope it serves you well and is all you hope it will be.

The one thing that the fourthirds system always had is a solid lineup of really high quality lenses. Not cheap, mind you, but some of the best lenses I've ever used were 50-200mm ED, 50mm f2macro, the 9-18mm as well as the 12-60mm. I was never able to get some of the more exotic glass i.e. 35 - 100mm f2 or the 90-250mm

Good luck

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:44 AM   #3

Well thank you Zig, some of those lenses you mention are a little out of my price range. I would like to get the 40-150mm for sure and hoping it is as good as the M43 version. I would also like to get the 70-300mm. I am looking at the 35mm f2.8 and wonder if that is a good lens, the price is right anyway. Problem is that I believe the E-3 is still a 2 to 1 factor and the 35mm would be equivalent to a 70 and not wide enough for a walk around. The 14-54 f2.8 model would probably be more in what I am looking for in a walk around. I'm a little nervous about the E-3 seeing that there is no returns but the guy has a 100% feedback rating since 2006 so I felt pretty comfortable buying from him. I guess I still have the eBay buyer protection plan going for me should something be amiss.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:07 AM   #4

Hi James

Congrats on the E3...and what cracking price! Let us know when it shows up and I would check out Wrotnaik's guide to setting up the E3

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-sett.html

I think he covers configuring the cam to shoot SHQ Large Jpegs which is not a standard default option and if you just want to shoot Jpegs then you want to use that file size.

You can't go wrong with the 40-150 as a starter lens and if you can get the 14-54 then you have a 28-108mm lens. If you want wider than that .. the 11-22 is a cracker but its price has gone up over the years or you could get the 9-18 (18-36) which is an amazing bit of glass for its price and size esp for a WA lens. Greg used to have one (he also had the 7-14 SHG) and he could tell you how good it is.

Once you have the cam setup and have spent some time with it post some pics!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Well thank you Zig, some of those lenses you mention are a little out of my price range. I would like to get the 40-150mm for sure and hoping it is as good as the M43 version. I would also like to get the 70-300mm. I am looking at the 35mm f2.8 and wonder if that is a good lens, the price is right anyway. Problem is that I believe the E-3 is still a 2 to 1 factor and the 35mm would be equivalent to a 70 and not wide enough for a walk around. The 14-54 f2.8 model would probably be more in what I am looking for in a walk around. I'm a little nervous about the E-3 seeing that there is no returns but the guy has a 100% feedback rating since 2006 so I felt pretty comfortable buying from him. I guess I still have the eBay buyer protection plan going for me should something be amiss.
Hi James,

I still have the ZD 35mm macro 3.5 lens that I think you're referring to. It is a cracker of a lens especially when taking into account the cost.
Yes, the 14-54 from a price to performance perspective, is hard to beat.

I had one an ultimately replaced it with a 12-60mm. The added 6 degrees of angle of view provided by the 12-60mm was more important to me in my landscape shots that the slightly faster 14-54. And, since, I used that lens for landscapes, a fast lens really isn't required.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:53 AM   #6

The 14-45zd 3.5-5.6 lens.. for its price is a cracker n that will give u 28-90mm n its not that far behind the 14-54 optically.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:19 AM   #7

Well done James.....I'm just jealous..
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:21 AM   #8

Thanks for the link Harj, yes you can pick up the 14-45 pretty cheap, usually well under 100 bucks and I'll probably do that considering I could get it quick and then save for something like the 9-18mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi James

Congrats on the E3...and what cracking price! Let us know when it shows up and I would check out Wrotnaik's guide to setting up the E3

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-sett.html

I think he covers configuring the cam to shoot SHQ Large Jpegs which is not a standard default option and if you just want to shoot Jpegs then you want to use that file size.

You can't go wrong with the 40-150 as a starter lens and if you can get the 14-54 then you have a 28-108mm lens. If you want wider than that .. the 11-22 is a cracker but its price has gone up over the years or you could get the 9-18 (18-36) which is an amazing bit of glass for its price and size esp for a WA lens. Greg used to have one (he also had the 7-14 SHG) and he could tell you how good it is.

Once you have the cam setup and have spent some time with it post some pics!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:15 PM   #9

Congratulations with your new camera, I'm sure you will love to work with the E-3!

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:22 PM   #10

Well done James. I love my E-3, especially with my old 50-200mm MKI. It is a big, rugged camera but the ergonomics is just right for my hands, it handles great. It also had the steepest learning curve of any camera I've ever owned. Expect to spend some serious time learning all the many, many setting options for this camera.

I have the original version (not the newest SWD) version of the 50-200 and it is a great lens mounted on this camera. I also own the 12-60mm which is a great lens, but you can get the same quality if you pick up a used original version of the 14-54mm.

The 35mm macro is a lens that is still on my wish list. And the Wrotniak website mention by Harj is an excellent source for information.

Have fun learning your new toy.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote