Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:11 PM   #1

Default Auto Focus Confirm Chip??

I see these on eBay "AF Confirm/IS Programmable Chip for Olympus 4/3". Looks like a lens adaptor. What is it used for, non auto focus lenses?
Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I see these on eBay "AF Confirm/IS Programmable Chip for Olympus 4/3". Looks like a lens adapter. What is it used for, non auto focus lenses?
Thanks.
Yes, it is just a lens adapter (with an added chip) for adapting manual focus lens to the 4/3. The AF Confirm simply is a chip on the adapter that will cause a beep and the red dot in the viewfinder when it senses that you have the subject in focus when you are turning the focus ring.

Read all the way thru this recent post here, as in that post the lens adapter subject came up and was discussed:
Anyone tried the OM 200F2 on the E's ?

One nice thing about the E-3, when you get your adapters and mount old manual focus lens, you can tell the E-3 the focal length of the lens, and it will adapt the Image Stabilization to match the focal length, so the IS will work correctly with the manual lens.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:52 PM   #3

Seems reasonably priced at 20.00. I know there is some old Oly OM glass that can be had pretty cheap and most of those lenses were pretty darn good. Thanks Steve.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:33 PM   #4

Just be careful that you are getting the adapter for 4/3 cameras, as the majority of the adapters are now for the m4/3 cameras.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:35 PM   #5

Oh I'm not going to buy one in the near future, don't even have a lens I could use with it. Just curiosity is all.