Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:50 PM   #1

Default First Shots With My New E-3

Well guys, they aren't scenic or anything like that, but I had to take some shots of my gear to put up for sale on eBay. Taken with the 35mm Oly macro. Nothing done to them at all except RAW to jpeg conversion. The VF-2 viewfinder sold in less than 30 minutes for $183.00 (buy it now option). Not bad considering I bought it on sale for $200.00 w/free shipping.

P4047007 by James Gasta, on Flickr

P4047004 by James Gasta, on Flickr
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:55 PM   #2

Excellent clean shots James. Wow, your EPL-2 looks brand new!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:07 PM   #3

Thanks Steve. I take very good care of my camera gear so it always looks good. Everything I have is on eBay now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Excellent clean shots James. Wow, your EPL-2 looks brand new!!

Last edited by James Emory; Apr 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:03 AM   #4

An appropriate first use of a camera! The pix look good - you're gonna have fun with the E-3.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:57 AM   #5

I'm already liking it. I do like the fact that the scene modes are omitted, never use them anyway. Also, it's the first DSLR I've seen that actually has a film plane symbol like they put on the film SLRs, sort of nostalgic. DP review says the camera is clumsy to operate but I haven't found that to be the case. One of my first changes will be to use a one button memory for changing certain items rather than have to hold the buttom down and at the same time turn the back wheel to your selection. I read somewhere where this can be done but haven't gotten that far yet. I think you can set up a time as to how long you can make the selection before you have to press the button again. I also like the idea that if you want to use live view to compose and shoot, you can close the viewfinder to prevent stray light from entering the sensor. Sure better than covering the eye piece with a piece of rubber which always seems to get lost.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:50 PM   #6

Hey Jim

Good to hear your first thoughts on the E3. That EPL-2 reminds me a fair bit of the E330.. just smaller in size and the grip size surprised me.

I could never understand the "handling" issues that some have raised with the E3/E5. When I got mine I really thought I would miss the dials from the E1, etc but that never happened, as I just put the cam in manual mode and that was it. The super control panel is really handy, the top LCD and the large VF all make it easy to work with. I do miss the on off switch on the E1, which is perfectly located but for the E3/E5 they copied some of the button locations from the Canon E 1D.

Regards LV - I've rarely ever used it as it doesn't suit my style of shooting - too slow and clunky.

Enjoy the E3.. looking foward to seeing some more pics with it and the 35mm.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:51 PM   #7

I'm also looking forward to using it and learn more about its capabilities. Sure seems like it is ruggedly built thats for sure.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Sure seems like it is ruggedly built thats for sure.
This is the E-3's magnesium alloy body (photo from Steve's Digicams review. IIRC when the camera was introduced they released a photo of a man standing on the body but I can't find it on the 'Net.
Attached Images

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:42 AM   #9

Hi ted.. I dont think it was pic but this video from Imaging Resources interview with Oly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNT_id0qJ70

Its at 5:27 where you see Terada stand on the E3

At 6:31 they have an E3 split in two .. looking at that vido... theres a lot crammed into the EX's frame and now I know why the body was made that size ..

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 6, 2013 at 7:44 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:42 AM   #10

Looking GOOD James
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote