Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 20, 2013, 6:27 PM   #1

Default "Fly Me To The Moon..."

Here is one of my attempts to capture the moon. This was taken last month with my new (to me) e30. The lens is an old OM Sigma 400mm with a stuck aperture @ 5.6, with an off-brand 2x converter and an OM to 4/3 adapter. So if what they say about the 4/3 system is like doubling a 35mm lens focal length, I was shooting with a 1600mm equivalent !?! Anyway, still not as sharp as I would like, but there is a bit of distance between me and the subject.
Attached Images

seanmcgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2013, 9:06 PM   #2

Hi Sean: looks like the exposure was spot-on, while the focus is just a little soft. But from your lens outfit description it is better focus than I would expect. Probably the main culprit would be the off-brand 2x converter. However, you probably could sharpen it up a tad in your PP.

You might do an experiment and take some shots without the 2x converter, then in your post processing, crop it to the approximate size of using the converter. You may find that you have better results with cropping instead of using the off brand 2x converter.

Anyway, the E-30 is an excellent camera, and you will be able to get some excellent results as you become familiar with it. And some very knowledgeable folks on the forum here that will be glad to provide any info that you may need. How many lens do you currently have?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 11:43 PM   #3

What Steven said Sean.

Sharpened a tad.
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 3:45 PM   #4

Steven & Ken,
Thanks for the feedback. I have tried to improve the sharpness via PP, but did not have the success you did, it looks great!

I did take several pics with various lens combinations. I do have some without the 2x, and honestly they're not much better. This has been my ongoing complaint; my photos are never as sharp as I would like. For this shoot, I used a tripod, locked the mirror up, and used the timer.

Some of it may come from this old 400mm lens. Even when I used it with my OM2, it never seemed that sharp.

I have some moon shots with the 70-300, but they are not razor sharp either. I will post one this week when I can.

Again, thanks for any & all feedback, I appreciate it!
Old May 21, 2013, 4:35 PM   #5

Sean: do you realize that the E-30 allows fine tuning of focus for individual lens?

Make sure that you download the PDF file of the full owners manual and follow the instructions for fine tuning of an individual lens focus to the E-30.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 1:31 PM   #6

Oh yeah. I will work with that. Thanks. (have the manual)