Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:04 AM   #1

Default TTL flash mount

I found in with the old crap er treasures. my old TTL flash and bracket mount. Question. I know they say DO NOT use on the E series hot shoe and I understand that. But do they make a cord with the correct fitting for the hot shoe and adapter for the TTL.?
Just wondering...?????

It's not quite like this my cord went from the Hot shoe to the Flash unit itself.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2013, 1:15 PM   #2

What's the model of that flash gun and how does it connect to a camera?

There is a cable that can connect the hot shoe foot of a flash unit to the flash shoe of an E series camera - allows the flash to be on a bracket.. Oly makes the FL-CB05, and Opteka makes one also. But I'm not sure if these will protect the camera if your flash unit's trigger voltage is over 10 or 12 volts. And I can't see that your flash gun sits on a hot shoe.

Ted

Edit: You should measure the trigger voltage if you have a voltmeter - it may be low enough to be safe. The voltmeter needs to be calibrated in US volts not European volts.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:07 PM   #3

I do not believe the OM flash system can be made to work in TTL with the E system. I would say call Olympus to confirm but you'd probably get someone who knows less than all of us put together
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I do not believe the OM flash system can be made to work in TTL with the E system. I would say call Olympus to confirm but you'd probably get someone who knows less than all of us put together
Greg, I think Ken may be just asking if he can use it at all, even in manual mode.

I believe you're absolutely right that an older Oly film SLR flash won't communicate with an Oly DSLR's metering. But if he wants to shoot hummers at a feeder, that flash could be helpful. I used flash units in manual mode for years with film SLRs - it's not that difficult to work out the exposures.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:17 PM   #5

IIRC, any OM compatible Flash will fry an E-series, as they use much lower voltage than the old 35mm film cameras. I seem to remember that these old units must be used as a remote flash only, triggered by another flash or by a radio or infrared trigger. etc.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:29 PM   #6

Back again, Thanks for the responses guys.

Olympus TTL Quick AUTO 310. Designed to mount on the OM2 hot shoe. (shoe 2 only)

The remote angle bracket uses a cord from the hot shoe to the flash unit. The grip houses extra batteries for longer shooting.

Similar to this:

I guess my question would be: Do they make an adapter cord that fits and works on the EVolt series cameras hot shoe to the Flash unit.

I tried Olympus help email but it's a convoluted system that needs your short size and the birth certificate of your first born child. Just helped make me even more angry at Oly's contempt for their customers.

I feel Greg is correct here, this would instigate a board room discussion that would end in an office boy having to commit sepuku.

If it just flashed when the shutter opened, I could work it out as Ted says. But then I don't want to start an electrical storm in the neighborhood, as Steven suggest could happen.
I looked though the cords you pointed out Ted but the end into the flash has 2 bayonet type pins, a round one with a female connect and a rectangular male pin. (like the tiny B&W sketch.)

Oh, and Ted. Sorry to burst your American bubble again but A. Volta, the guy who came up with the term, was European Italian.

Don't worry though. I'm sure an American invented something beside the Colt handgun....

I'm continuing to wander through google to see if anyone has come up with a solution. that works properly.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Oh, and Ted. Sorry to burst your American bubble again but A. Volta, the guy who came up with the term, was European Italian.
Well, Ken, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm a nuclear physicist and I certainly know who Alessandro Volta was. And he didn't come up with the term, he invented the concept, which was named after him by others, later.

I was kidding about US volts versus European volts. You should spend some time at GetASenseOfHumor.com

Quote:
Don't worry though. I'm sure an American invented something beside the Colt handgun....
Yes. The digtal camera, affordable amateur telescopes, and ultra-large segmented mirror research-grade professional telescopes come to mind.

Ken, you often come across like Jeremy Clarkson, whose xenophobic and incessant bashing of American cars is childish especially when representing a country that has virtually no presence in the international automobile marketplace.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 19, 2013 at 6:38 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Well, Ken, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm a nuclear physicist and I certainly know who Alessandro Volta was. And he didn't come up with the term, he invented the concept, which was named after him by others, later.

I was kidding about US volts versus European volts. You should spend some time at GetASenseOfHumor.com

Yes. The digtal camera, affordable amateur telescopes, and ultra-large segmented mirror research-grade professional telescopes come to mind.

Ken, you often come across like Jeremy Clarkson, whose xenophobic and incessant bashing of American cars is childish especially when representing a country that has virtually no presence in the international automobile marketplace.

Ted
I got your joke Ted, I was responding in kind..
I've lived here more than half my life, well used to American/engerish rivalries and humour

Looks like I'd short circuit Seattle if I continue the quest for fitting the 310 flash to the E500. (It couldn't go nuke....could it??)But there's a camera shop up the road that specializes in "film". You're old enough to remember film.. I may just play with the OM 2 now and then.

Last edited by Scouse; Jun 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Looks like I'd short circuit Seattle if I continue the quest for fitting the 310 flash to the E500. (It couldn't go nuke....could it??)But there's a camera shop up the road that specializes in "film". You're old enough to remember film.. I may just play with the OM 2 now and then.
You do have another option. (I'm still thinking that flash would be fun for you to use photographing hummers). Folks do use older flash units like yours, on modern cameras using a "remote flash trigger" - the flash isn't physically connected to the camera at all, and it doesn't really need to be very remote although this gear typically is for multiple flash units in a "studio lighting" setting.

There are 2 types - an optical sensor on the remote, that sees when your on-camera flash (which can be the pop-up) goes off and triggers the 2nd flash, and one that works on a wireless (radio) signal. I believe the optical solution requires that the remote sensor is looking at the on-camera flash so if you want the remote flash alongside or behind your camera the wireless solution is more flexible. (This hereby exhausts all of my knowledge on that subject. )

I'm sure you thought of this, but before you purchase anything you should be sure your old Oly flash gun does work. There's a big capacitor in it than needs to be charged and discharged a few times before it's at its best performance.

Ted

PS: I tried to work the word "whilst" in there but couldn't see a way to do it...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:40 PM   #10

You've got me here. Way over my head. All the flash stuff I taken for years is just a fill flash. I'm not sure if I want to get that involved for hummer shots. I'll just wait for the sun to shine.. In the meanwhile I'll pop some batteries in it and mount it on the OM2 shoe for a test.

Taking indoor shots for real estate I get by with a tripod longer exposures and fill flash to get light into the corners. I usually do better that the average broker.

Trying to come up with a 'whilst' myself, it's not working though..

For interest, I used to work with an real estate agent who was in the Nuke field. He was a professor at Berkley and actually knew Oppenheimer and all those pioneers in the field. He's way retired now must be in his mid 80's.