Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1

Default Tall Ships Sailed Into My Town

Well after seeing all the gorgeous works done by others I'm almost ashamed to post these but it's the best I can do now. Taken with the E-3 and 14-54 lens. No sharpening done yet, I used Windows Live Photo Gallery for an easy transfer to Flickr and I don't see any place where I can sharpen on that software. Wish I would have had the 40-150 lens for some of these shots. Hope you like.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by James Gasta, on Flickr

Last edited by James Emory; Jul 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:10 PM   #2

Not much wrong with those shots James. I like them a lot especially the last...Hard on the wind..! Well not really.
Is that one the US replica of the HMS Rose..?

For quick and dirty PP I'll still use picasa, free from google.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:28 PM   #3

Hey James..

Ken's spot on with his comments.. theyre good as is. I need to use my 14-54 as I'm spoilt and restricted by the beastie.

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:42 PM   #4

James, those are excellent shots. I especially like shot #5, as it really shows the excellent colors that you captured, i.e. with the different shades of blue between the water and the sky, and the colors of the small flags against the blue sky.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Not much wrong with those shots James. I like them a lot especially the last...Hard on the wind..! Well not really.
Is that one the US replica of the HMS Rose..?

For quick and dirty PP I'll still use picasa, free from google.
Ken the HMS Rose was not one of them although many are restored. The frigate with the canon ports actually served in the War of 1812 although there is very little left of the original. Most of them have been completely restored to the original. It is quite interesting to say the least.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:53 AM   #6

DANG! These are good James, thanks for sharing. That E-3 / 14-54 is a great combination of hardware.

James, what/who did the restorations and who's sailing them..... private, navy, coast guard?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 15, 2013 at 7:59 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:51 AM   #7

I love these, James!

Is the big one the Coast Guard's training ship Eagle?

Edit: Ooops - I forgot that the Eagle has the red stripe near the bow, and the Eagle's mizzen is gaff rigged not square rigged. It looks like it's the same size, though.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I love these, James!

Is the big one the Coast Guard's training ship Eagle?

Edit: Ooops - I forgot that the Eagle has the red stripe near the bow, and the Eagle's mizzen is gaff rigged not square rigged. It looks like it's the same size, though.
That ship is the Sorlandet....
Her Story:
Sørlandet was built in 1927 in the Verksted shipyard in the city of Kristiansand on the south coast of Norway. Built to be a sail-training vessel, she is the oldest of three existing Norwegian tall ships. Sørlandet made her North American debut in 1933 when she served as the Norwegian Pavilion during the Chicago World’s Fair. Today she is a sailing classroom for Class Afloat, a private school offering 11th and 12th grade high school and university level instruction. In the 2012-2013 school year, students will have visited 22 ports of call from Istanbul to Brazil and participate in service projects in Senegal and the Dominican Republic.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
DANG! These are good James, thanks for sharing. That E-3 / 14-54 is a great combination of hardware.

James, what/who did the restorations and who's sailing them..... private, navy, coast guard?
Thanks Bob. I believe they are privately owned/restored by volunteers and money they collect from their stops. When they leave my town today they will go their separate ways. Later in the year they will gather again in Marquette in the upper peninsula of Michigan and later at a port in Wisconsin. I talked to a chap who volunteers his time as a crew member on the Sullivan and has been doing this for 37 years. I based my thoughts on my conversation with him. Many of the ships are from foreign countries.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:48 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.