Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:33 PM   #1

Default Spadger

I tried the telescope out on the deck briefly this morning. (It's been cleaned and culminated It really shows the limitation of the E500 and that "Pinhole" of a view screen. I kept this one just for the fanning of the wing and the light in the eye but it's far from what I wanted.

Terry and I took some moon shots last night, I dumped all of mine!!! I just couldn't get a decent focus and the atmospherics after a hot day did funny things, that and the speed the moon seems to race across the screen.

Terry on the other hand got a couple of good ones. He amped up his ISO to way over anything I could achieve and with that big bright view screen on the back, he didn't have to squint through that tiny hole. His view screen has an enlargement feature so he could lock onto a nice crater and shoot with his remote.

Winter is by far the best time to shoot the sky. We did have fun looking at Saturn and the rings. every now and then the waves of heat would slow and you'd get a good look at the rings and separation from the planet.

Anyway....after a long moan....I give you the common sparrow, preening. (Got to look your best for a photo.) from about 60 feet. f10. 1/320. ISO 250. as high as I dare.

W/razor thin DOF and I missed it by that much.
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Jul 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:54 PM   #2

Interesting adventures with your telescope Ken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
....... he didn't have to squint through that tiny hole. His view screen has an enlargement feature so he could lock onto a nice crater and shoot with his remote.
LOL Ken. Gee whiz, give credit to Olympus for inventing the live view on a dslr and the "enlargement feature". I have that feature even on my very old E-330. (Something that the CaNikon boys jeered at when it came out, but eventually the big dslr players copied it.) Even more reason for you to do an inexpensive purchase of a used E-30 or E-3; as not only would it work better with your telescope, but would really make your current Zuiko lens shine.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:25 PM   #3

Ken.. I haven't checked the pricing on the E3s lately .. but I'm sure you;d get a cracking deal on one.

You couldn't do any astro pics in London .. u can barely see the moon with all of the street lighting.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:48 AM   #4

That sparrow photo is good.

Your Schmidt-Cassegrain scope is more or less a sealed tube. You may already know this (and if so, I apologize) but it's very important that it is at the same temperature as the outdoor air, or you'll get air currents inside the tube.

Simply put, you need to put it outside after sunset, and let it stay there until you're ready to use it. It will thus be in thermal equilibrium with the surrounding air. Is that what you're doing?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Interesting adventures with your telescope Ken.

LOL Ken. Gee whiz, give credit to Olympus for inventing the live view on a dslr and the "enlargement feature". I have that feature even on my very old E-330. (Something that the CaNikon boys jeered at when it came out, but eventually the big dslr players copied it.) Even more reason for you to do an inexpensive purchase of a used E-30 or E-3; as not only would it work better with your telescope, but would really make your current Zuiko lens shine.
Or even an E1. I still love the viewfinder on that camera. Actually i love most things about it but the limited ISO range means it gets used very little around here.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:30 PM   #6

You guys...... Too much pressure here, the E30 is on my Xmas list though.

Thanks Ted I did set it out a couple of hours ahead of time for that reason, just tossed an old pillow sham over to keep it dust free. It was pretty windy and had been warm that day. We plan for a calmer night and much later time wise.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 5:58 PM   #7

Default OK - I'm jacking Ken's thread

to find out how he's preparing to celebrate the royal birth. Because we all know how much he's a supporter of the royals.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:51 PM   #8

Send them to the tower, Off with their heads.