Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:41 PM   #1

Default Cat amongst the pigeons .. m43 vs FT

Hi Guys

I've always thought that everyone in the various forums over at Steve's are pretty chilled out and easy going and nobody really minds too much what gear we shoot with as its the pics that really count.

Over the last year I've noticed over at the rumours site that a lot of m43 shooters are dead set against any kind of future FT cam - be it E5xx or an EX replacement. At times it seems the venom is on another level even when compared to early FT vs APS-C days. I'm curious as to why these ppl . .some ex FT shooters hate the prospect of an updated FT cam..

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:57 PM   #2

I thought you meant like this..... Or maybe it is..

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Guys

I've always thought that everyone in the various forums over at Steve's are pretty chilled out and easy going and nobody really minds too much what gear we shoot with as its the pics that really count.

Over the last year I've noticed over at the rumours site that a lot of m43 shooters are dead set against any kind of future FT cam - be it E5xx or an EX replacement. At times it seems the venom is on another level even when compared to early FT vs APS-C days. I'm curious as to why these ppl . .some ex FT shooters hate the prospect of an updated FT cam..

Cheers

HArj
Hi Harj: It's just the opposite over at the fourthirdsphoto.com forum. The vast majority are eagerly waiting for the new 4/3 camera, even some who are also shooting m4/3. The big debate for a while was the merits of an EVF vs an OVF, but that does no longer seem to be a big issue.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:09 PM   #4

Maybe because some people thing that because I have one everyone should have one.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:37 PM   #5

I'm still holding on to some four-thirds Zuikos, like the 8mm f3.5 and 50mm f2. It'd be intriguing seeing a body that could use both micro and four-thirds optics with equal ability.

It would also be nice if one could find a 90-250mm f2.8 for $1,200 like this guy did. Jesus..

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51799840
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I'm still holding on to some four-thirds Zuikos, like the 8mm f3.5 and 50mm f2. It'd be intriguing seeing a body that could use both micro and four-thirds optics with equal ability.

It would also be nice if one could find a 90-250mm f2.8 for $1,200 like this guy did. Jesus..

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51799840
If anyone will put that lens to good use, Collin will. He lives in South Africa and his bird and animal photography is exemplary. I expect to see great images from him with that lens.

Regarding the OP, it seems to me that if we've learned anything as Oly customers, it's that it is pointless to guess what they will do next. I can understand pro or BIF photographers moving to another brand, but con't understand all the agita among amateurs whose current equipment is fine.

Finally, I salute Ken for giving us that wonderful photo of a bird mooning some cats. Truly classic!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 5:24 PM   #7

G'day Harj

My take on it all is that it's a slightly different arguement from the canon vs nikon debates that rage amongst those with little better to worry about

As with the CanKon debate & the 4/3 debate .... for me it's "who cares" - let's all enjoy this wonderful world of being creative with light via our optics, both the built-in and the 4/3 ones

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:05 AM   #8

wasnt till I looked at some aircraft pics I realised how scary sharp this thing is

http://photo.nagykrisztian.com/event...esi.php?iid=18
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Guys

Cheers

HArj
theres a bit of skulduggery happening over there 43rumurs
one particular individual who originates from DPR shoots up all things 43rds under made up names. In any particular thread he can make up over 10% of the posts

having used a GH2 a lot, myself I dont care a lot,
m43rds does offer a wider set of options
I like the primes I have (25/1.4, 45/1.8), and the silent 40fps is interesting for concerts
toss in its multi format. video, and low noise its a useful tool thats brought me more than $10k in less than a year
I dont mind about EVF etc, they offer some good possibilities
although AF is accurate the speed is a bit of a drag.

Assuming they fix up the focus speed, an m43 based Ex would bring some interesting diversions with optics, some of the primes are worth it, and the speedbooster thing takes away that old DoF bugbear some bitch about
If it happens that its a more or less straight SLR with a new sensor, well thats fine too Im sure I can cope , Im not all that crazy about using an adapter all the time anyway

but for what its worth, I dont think it will be m43rds based, it may be something interesting, from what I can make out its definitely a new sensor and a somewhat smaller body.
I guess the more likely variations are an SLR,
.............or native 43rds mount with an EVF

if its as terrible as all that I guess its hello FF or something, but where to go for 4x3 frames and decent UWA?
Primarily thats what keeps me here

Last edited by Rriley; Jul 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:44 PM   #10

Hey Ken

That's exactly it and that birds go some "cojones" !!

Greg/Ted, I saw Colin's post on his wee bargain .. and wee it ain't but what a bargain to have picked the lens at. That's a huge drop in value, not even 50% of the original price. I'm sure hes going to take some cracking shots with that beastie - he's done a fab job with the Bigma and the 50-200. At that price I'd have pulled the card out and just gone and bought it.

Phil, I'm with you on "who cares.." although some of the posters make me stop and think WTF are you on.. just chill out and have a sweatie.

Riley .. I'm assuming the wombat in question is that Almaric (I'm insulting wombats). ?.. I the trolling you can handle but the bad language and the BS that he churns out is something else. I wonder if he's ever taken a pic with any sort of cam. The venom of some of the other posters at any reference to a FT replacement and esp those that had FT and are now solely mFT is something else..

Right now I'm just going to relax and try and enjoy the pic taking, although I'm finding the 35-100F2 a bit akward at times and the E3 as well.. hankering after the 25mm F1.4 Leica D or the 50mm Sigma ( I missed out on one a wee bit ago.. thanks Pascal for the heads up!).

I'd like the E1's silent shutter in any new cam but how do you achieve a high FPS and keep it super silent ? I think a new E-X should be smaller - somewhere in between an E3/5 and the Pentax K5
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote