Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:31 PM   #1

Default IS the EM1 the E-5 replacement ?

Several months ago, Oly had a slide showing the new cam line up for the coming year and if I'm correct it showed a new Pen, an OMD-Pro and an EX or is my memory slipping ? So if thats the case, we've seen the OMDPro and we've also had an updated Pen, and that would then leave an EX replacement still to be announced ?

I dug up this wee tidbit from a post way back in Feb 2013:

So looking at that .. we have the Lumix G7, the Pen EP5, D7100,70D and the Fuji XM1 have all shown up. So its been fairly on the ball, so is there another E-X cam due ?

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:53 PM   #2

I do believe an E7 was on the map at one point, just like they originally were going to make a replacement for the E30 until they changed their minds. I do believe the E-M1 is the replacement for not just the E5, but all Olympus DSLR's.

The "one beautiful system" is upon us.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:06 AM   #3

Someone at Oly probably has designed an E7 but from their point of view would it be worth while to introduce it? After all, how many Oly DSLR users are left to buy it and would anyone actually switch to Olympus? Mirrorless is the way to go financially for them and if they have made a camera that will work equally well with both lens mounts then i think they will have made the right decision. The end of the line for their DSLRs seems to be here, no surprise. I think it's a shame they kept producing new DLSR bodies that were already somewhat outdated when released. Only question is whether the E-M1 will be enough to keep what 4/3 users they have left. A couple of years from now when the used ones hit the market I may be looking into it. I miss the 2x crop factor with my long glass as long as noise is under control in the new sensors.

John

Last edited by jelow1966; Aug 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:52 AM   #4

the only source I know of is a mod over at 43rds photo
he reckons no E7
so I dont know, but I do think Oly should make the situation understood
and I have made that position clear to them on yet another forum that seems to be a bit of a pipeline for feedback
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:23 AM   #5

The question of wether or not Olympus will release an E-7 or full bodied dslr that incorporates the use of both m43 and 43 lenses is an interesting one. Made even more interesting as sales results of all mirrorless cameras released recently show that sales for mirrorless cameras are a flat or falling in both Europe and North America. The Asian market is still fairly strong.

I say it's interesting since Olympus never does what you think they might, based on sales and good business practice.

My own view is that, Olympus has finally released a series of cameras, beginning with the OMD-5 that successfully blend size and functionality.
Add to that, the ability to take advantage of a complete set of lenses specifically made for M43, not to mention a myriad of "Legacy" lenses and
what you have is a system that can be enjoyed for many years to come, regardless of what ever happens Panasonic or Olympus.

For me, the question of which camera system to invest in always boils down to; "the right tool for the job"

The OMD-5, EP-5, EPL-5 are good at what they do. They are small, perfect for travel, back packing, etc. They deliver high quality images that satisfy all but the most demanding photographers.

Full frame cameras are designed for those situations and photographers that require the best possible output under the most demanding conditions.

The E-7 falls somewhere in between and there in lies the rub.

Just my .02cents

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:17 PM   #6

It was not only mirrorless sales which has been falling, sales also fell for dslr. Camera sales have fallen industry-wide by 43%. But Zig is right in that it looks like Olympus has changed its road-map, and has likely dropped the E-7 by using the M1 as the beginning of the merged 4/3 into the mirrorless bodies. Provided that the EVF technology will continue to improve, I can accept that strategy, if the resulting cameras continue to show new innovations for which Oly is well known.

As an FYI, came across a size illustration of the E-5 vs M-1
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:00 PM   #7

The display Steven posted above answers a point I made myself a few months ago when I picked up the accessory two-part grip for the E-M5.

Fabulous accessory with all the buttons and control dials you'd want, just like the E5 grip. Only one problem, the bottom part of my right palm constantly hit the back control dial of the vertical grip when I was holding the camera in landscape orientation, changing camera settings I did not want changed, so the only practical way the E-M5 grip "worked" for me (and my small hands) was to turn off the controls on the grip while I was using the camera in landscape mode, and it's kind of a pain having to remember to turn them on when switching between landscape and vertical shooting. As a result I rarely use the grip today.

The new grip for the E-M1 is significantly re-designed and one will only know by trying it if there are similar issues due to the shortened height of the set compared to the larger DSLR setup, but if you've got an E5 and grip, take a look above at how much higher the release buttons are with the E-M1. You can probably judge looking at what you've got and imagining the release being that much higher if it'll be a problem for you or not. It was with the E-M5 grip for me, and my hands are small.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:19 PM   #8

Hi Guys

Steve, thanks for linking the overlay. Not sure if its me but the grip on the EM1 doesn't look as deep as I thought it would and thus makes me think that handholding the bigger lenses even that 12-35F2 is not going to be as comfortable without the BG as it is with the E1/E3/5/30. Thats one part of the E_x where the design is pure ergonomic perfection and Oly left it right alone when they released the E3.

Greg, from the looks of if it or may be I'm mistaken but the tripod screw mount looks to be set off centre to the left, which has to be a good thing. The BG from behind and front definitely has design queues from the E1's BG.

I've already decided not to bite on this one.. I'm going to sit tight and wait and see how things progress over the coming months. Hopefully one of these will show up at the few camera stores still in London and I'll take the 35-100f2 along and see how well it works. I'm hoping we'll be pleasantly surprised and here's another camera road map from Oly which clearly states, next OMD and E

And heres an OMD + BGs and 150F2. I think the new cam's got more room to the side of the grip and lens mount but will it be enough ?

http://photorumors.com/wp-content/up...-CP%2Bshow.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:45 PM   #9

The tripod mount is off-center with the E-M5 body only, so that would not surprise me with the E-M1. One advantage is, if I have a tripod plate mounted, I can change a battery without removing the plate. If I mount just the lower-half of the E-M5 accessory grip, which gives one a larger grip, the tripod mount is centered, but I have to remove the trip in order to change a battery. If I mount the lower, second-half of the grip to add the extra vertical controls, the tripod mount goes off-center again.

Hopefully there will be some show upcoming where you can give it a test spin. We are very, extremely fortunate here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area to have a shop like Arlington Camera that has always carried the full Olympus line and all of the Micro system, including the Panasonic stuff. I played with the Panny 12-35mm f2.8 and 35-100mm f2.8 last weekend. Nice lenses. Probably equivalent to the Olympus HG lenses, like the 12-60 and 50-200. They're definitely not SHG grade, but nice, and super small (comparatively speaking)....
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post

I've already decided not to bite on this one.. I'm going to sit tight and wait and see how things progress over the coming months. Hopefully one of these will show up at the few camera stores still in London and I'll take the 35-100f2 along and see how well it works. I'm hoping we'll be pleasantly surprised and here's another camera road map from Oly which clearly states, next OMD and E
well the traditional release date 'ambient' is Nov 5
wont be too long a wait ...

i just wish they (Oly) would say something
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote