Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:36 PM   #1

Default For Rriley - Battle of Fromelles

Hi Rriley, you did mention in my Vimy Ridge post a question if there where any Australians that did fight up there. The answer is no, they where mainly headed in Fromelles (Pheasant Woods), where they had a hell of a fight.
That is also the place where they placed explosives under the bunkers and blew them up. If you seek in my past posts there are some more pictures to find from this place.

Here I post some pictures from the Fromelles site, what is the Australian remembrance place with the cemetery next to it. On this cemetery there are many mass graves because of the too much men that died up there and the corpses did lay there for more then a year before they did get burried.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:38 PM   #2

Thanks for posting these Lordje. Excellent shots and helps us to remember the debts we owe to so many of the WWII generation.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:51 AM   #3

Hey Pascal

Thaks for psoting.. just reminds you how totally brave those men were - from both sides and the enormous loss of life.

To the Fallen! We salute you !

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:02 AM   #4

For more there I saw this movie...Ah google does it. "Beneath Hill 60" based on the story of the Ausie engineer and his men who tunneled under that hill and blew it and everything around it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneath_Hill_60

It looked a tad different then than those peaceful shots of Lordje's.
Worth watching it.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
Hi Rriley, you did mention in my Vimy Ridge post a question if there where any Australians that did fight up there. The answer is no, they where mainly headed in Fromelles (Pheasant Woods), where they had a hell of a fight.
That is also the place where they placed explosives under the bunkers and blew them up. If you seek in my past posts there are some more pictures to find from this place.

Here I post some pictures from the Fromelles site, what is the Australian remembrance place with the cemetery next to it. On this cemetery there are many mass graves because of the too much men that died up there and the corpses did lay there for more then a year before they did get burried.
thanks
yes I remember something of it now.
Like Scouse Ive seen the movie too

heres a story for you.

Australia probably did more than its share in France WW1,
to this day there is a special relationship held by the people of Villers-Bretonneux who's school L’Ecole Victoria was built from Australian donations after the battle in WW1 destroyed the town.

1200 Australians died in the successful counter offensive to retake the town, their graves are still cared for and attended to this day by the townspeople.
The school has a sign in its courtyard 'Do Not Forget Australia' and a dawn service is held each year in Australian war dead honour
attended by children of the school

http://www.inthefootsteps.com/blog/a...service-today/

After the bushfires destroyed several towns in Victoria Australia a few years back,
the French town came to their aid with donations to rebuild the school.
what goes around comes around I guess

Quite an amazing and enduring relationship

Last edited by Rriley; Aug 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:42 PM   #6

Thank you for this information Riley.
I also saw that movie.
My father in law is walking WWI encyclopedia, I did tell him about this shool and he did know to tell me that it where not only Australians that did support in fund for building a school, but also Canada did that in a few city's. For me it was completely new information.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote