Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:16 AM   #1

Default Alternative positive from OM-D EM1

Firstly, I am just a snapshooter standard photographer who loves photography and does indeed aspire to improve.

Am also a Olympus camera lover, have always loved the quality of the models they have produced over the years going back to to the wonderful OM series when I used the OM-2N and the great OM lenses with great results.

Despite being totally happy with the E-3 I went along with the mirror-less movement and bought the EM5 and more than a few M43 lens, I have to say that the IQ was tremendous and loved the results, but I never ever bonded with the body, buttons were just too small, depth of the body just never ever felt comfortable and was never at ease with what I was seeing through the viewfinder.

Long story short is that I have sold all M43 gear and have bought (again) a E-3 (with new shutter) and a 14-54 lens, suffice to say I could not be happier, it fits me perfectly, I love the simpler menu and feel much more in control of the camera, now all I have to do is find another 50-200 and I will have a kit that suits me perfectly.

I also note that here in Australia there has been a rush of e-3 and a few e-5 being put on ebay which to me is a great benefit as they have been as rare as hens teeth in the last twelve months, but not so many 43 lens.

I fully appreciate that the EM5 and indeed the soon to be available EM1 will be a terrific camera for most, but for us who are not quite so comfortable with the smaller kit this is a godsend for the larger bodies and lens being available.

Suffice to say I hope you all enjoy the EM1, for me I will keep on keeping on with this outdated technology.

E-3, 14-54, 14-42, 40-150, 70-300, HLD-4
Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:58 PM   #2

Hi Leeston: Very interesting observations. While I always enjoy learning about the new camera bodies, I am very satisfied with my E-3 and have no plans to give it up. The E-3 with the 12-60mm and the 50-200mm accounts for about 99% of all my photographs.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:45 AM   #3

I'm in the same boat as you. I too sold all my 4/3 Canon gear to by an E-PL2 with three lenses. Like you, the body was just too small for my hands so I sold all but the 35mm Oly macro and bought a very nice E-3 on Ebay for 300.00. Since then I have added the 14-54 f2.8 lens which is a really nice lens. Like you, I felt the picture quality of the M43 was very good. Luckily I did not invest the amount of money you invested in your M43 rig.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:47 PM   #4

I think a lot of us are in the same boat.. I wouldn't buy the EM5 as its simply way too small and unusable for me.

I'd have preferred to have seen an E-7 and the EM1 as two viable options but that's never going to happen - FT is dead as a dodo.

I think the EM1 is still too small, height wise at least as its the same as the EM-5 and I found the height on that camera not good enough for me to be able to comfortably hold it. The EM1 is only going to be usable with the BatteryGrip if your using any of the bigger HG and SHG glass. The std tele's and the 35/50mm lenses actually look a good fit on the camera even with the adapter. The longer zooms not so.

At the mo I dont trust any of the "reviews" about AF performance with FT glass .. I still remember all of the worlds fastest AF and how much improved the E5's AF was over the E3 when it simply wasn't the case. So far the news is hit or miss.. so it could well be that we may have to wait till an EM2 shows up in a few years before we get something thats better than the E5's AF. Till then I'm gonna carry on shooting with the E3 and the beastie.. I'm still not really pushing the camera.

For other stuff .. the K5MK2 looks pretty tempting as thats 50% of the price of the Em1 and pair it with a 50mm prime its still considerably cheaper.
Attached Images

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:27 PM   #5

There is always a used E5 but I don't think it's worth selling mine and paying the extra money for one. I doubt I will see any optical improvement in my photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
I think a lot of us are in the same boat.. I wouldn't buy the EM5 as its simply way too small and unusable for me.

I'd have preferred to have seen an E-7 and the EM1 as two viable options but that's never going to happen - FT is dead as a dodo.

I think the EM1 is still too small, height wise at least as its the same as the EM-5 and I found the height on that camera not good enough for me to be able to comfortably hold it. The EM1 is only going to be usable with the BatteryGrip if your using any of the bigger HG and SHG glass. The std tele's and the 35/50mm lenses actually look a good fit on the camera even with the adapter. The longer zooms not so.

At the mo I dont trust any of the "reviews" about AF performance with FT glass .. I still remember all of the worlds fastest AF and how much improved the E5's AF was over the E3 when it simply wasn't the case. So far the news is hit or miss.. so it could well be that we may have to wait till an EM2 shows up in a few years before we get something thats better than the E5's AF. Till then I'm gonna carry on shooting with the E3 and the beastie.. I'm still not really pushing the camera.

For other stuff .. the K5MK2 looks pretty tempting as thats 50% of the price of the Em1 and pair it with a 50mm prime its still considerably cheaper.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:39 PM   #6

Im too busy to contemplate major changes but I might give M1 a run as the crossover doesnt seem all that difficult

I think E3 and E5 had a lot of differences'
the colours seemed to me a bit cooler, and sometimes a step back
AF seemed more responsive, but I had times in SAF when it just lost it for awhile, same as E3.
Often after pole shots, I think something goes on there above the tripod socket.

But E5 IS was stronger, last night I did a handheld test shot to see I had exposure somewhere right for a night shot at 1 sec exposure, and it held up ok.
I think I was more surprised than the client.

Im not happy not to have that last Ex but I shall survive.
I think if theres a next time for me, I might be better off with a larger manufacturer, they just seem to hold up a bit better in the end despite the reliability failings in other directions.

D600 is to be replaced its name is so besmirched by the oil slick,
D800 was lens rentals most repaired camera in history,
OTOH 5Diii had zero fails.

For the moment though, M1 ticks every box, causes a lot less disruption, doesnt cost the earth and its like I get all my lenses for free .
then I can look forward to going through this process all over again next year to replace GH2

Last edited by Rriley; Sep 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: additions
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:21 AM   #7

Robert Wong does say the following about the AF:

I am not going to lie, and I will be honest here, the focusing speed of Four Thirds lenses on the E-M1 is NOT as fast as how they are on DSLR E-5, E-3 or E-30. It may not have fulfilled my expectations, but in all seriousness, the focusing speed was FAR from disappointing. In comparison to previous focusing on any micro Four Thirds camera, the focusing speed on E-M1 has increased by quite a far leap, and is now very fast and reliable. For some lenses, the focusing speed was very close to the DSLR E-5.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:15 AM   #8

I think people would exchange speed for reliability
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:39 AM   #9

From what I have read, the best color came out of the E1 with the Kodak sensor. I think it was a Kodak sensor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
Im too busy to contemplate major changes but I might give M1 a run as the crossover doesnt seem all that difficult

I think E3 and E5 had a lot of differences'
the colours seemed to me a bit cooler, and sometimes a step back
AF seemed more responsive, but I had times in SAF when it just lost it for awhile, same as E3.
Often after pole shots, I think something goes on there above the tripod socket.

But E5 IS was stronger, last night I did a handheld test shot to see I had exposure somewhere right for a night shot at 1 sec exposure, and it held up ok.
I think I was more surprised than the client.

Im not happy not to have that last Ex but I shall survive.
I think if theres a next time for me, I might be better off with a larger manufacturer, they just seem to hold up a bit better in the end despite the reliability failings in other directions.

D600 is to be replaced its name is so besmirched by the oil slick,
D800 was lens rentals most repaired camera in history,
OTOH 5Diii had zero fails.

For the moment though, M1 ticks every box, causes a lot less disruption, doesnt cost the earth and its like I get all my lenses for free .
then I can look forward to going through this process all over again next year to replace GH2
Old Sep 18, 2013, 4:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
I think people would exchange speed for reliability
When you invest in decent lenses, you would expect that they work at full in the new body models. To be honest I'm disappointed.
The FT lenses are working but for the best you need to the MFT lenses.
Overtime I did invest money on lenses with the idea from growing in time, not from throwing away after a few years in use.
Also the M1 with 50-200 mounted on it, I wonder how that will handle. A far to small body with a lens that is x2 or near x3 the size of the M1.
Nikon & Canon would never let their users down like Olympus did do.

I will not say that M1 is not a good body, but it isn't what Olympus DSLR users where looking for.

Now I'm curious to hear what everyone here would do when their E-3 or E-5 dies.

For me I guess it is now better checking the net for getting a used and in good condition E-5, so when my E-3 fails suddenly I still have a body that works (makes this sense?). Selling the complete gear to get a Nikon or Canon is loosing a lot of money also, so not an instant option I think.

Maybe I'm talking crap because I'm mad and disapointed in Olympus?

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500

Last edited by Lordje; Sep 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM.
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote