Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:38 PM   #1

Default One of the better articles on the E-M1 and also why it beat out the E-7

Very interesting and informative analysis, and I think you of the better articles that I have read on the subject. You can find it here:

http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php...wisdom_matures
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:32 AM   #2

Great article, almost makes one want to go out and buy one. Unfortunately, I am at a point where I do not want to go through another camera change and the expense of doing so. I love my E-3 and it does everything I want to do with it. From an IQ standpoint with the E-3 and 14-54 f2.8 lens, I couldn't be more pleased. As for the multi-axis IS in the new Oly, just great, but 98% of my shots are static, nothing moving but the air around me. Shooting film for most of my life you just learn what is needed to get a sharp picture with no blur and just apply it to the E-3 as if you were shooting a SLR film cam. My first encounter with fil SLR was when I was stationed in Germany in 1965. The Army had a photo lab which we could all use for free and they even sold paper and developing materials at a very reasonable cost. Color printing wasn't available there so we just shot B&W, developed our own film and printed out the pics. Actually it was a lot of fun. We could also do Ektachrome slides there and I must have a ton of those shots that were taken in the streets of Wurzburg. My first SLR camera I bought there was an East German Exacta with no built in light meter. Most guys just shot using the recommended settings that came with the film. For the most part, these were very acceptable. Later, most of us bought light meters. I chose to go with the Pentax Spotmatic that came out a little later.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:45 AM   #3

With an Exacta, you certainly do learn how to shoot nice & slow

I used the model VIIA some years ago for a short time. Backwards film advance, left-handed release and all. To call Exacta's quirky cameras is being nice.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
With an Exacta, you certainly do learn how to shoot nice & slow

I used the model VIIA some years ago for a short time. Backwards film advance, left-handed release and all. To call Exacta's quirky cameras is being nice.
Oh yes Greg, and that baby was a monster but took really nice shots. All I had then was a 50mm lens and I wish I could remember what brand lens Exacta used back then. I don't believe they made their own lenses but I cannot be sure. I don't think my shutter was on the left but I'm not sure. Hell, I don't remember what I did last week, let alone back in the 60's. The Pentax Spotmatic was a huge upgrade, especially with the auto metering.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:34 AM   #5

Primarily East German Zeiss, before they lost the rights to use the Zeiss name, but there were many others, including several other East German brands many would no longer know and I cannot think of.

This looks "Exactly" the one I had..

http://camarasclassicas.blogspot.com...varex-iia.html
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:34 PM   #6

From initial pics by Donald Chin using the EM1 + 90-250 , it looks as if the AF is better but his comment that the CAF tracking was not good doesn't bode well. I basically do not think that tiny battery will have enough juice for the HG/SHG's on its own - 350 shots, compared to 600+ you get with the BML1's ? I also have am not sure if its got enough height without the BG to be comfortable to use with the FT glass esp for extended periods of time.

I think an E5 may well be on the cards for me, and I'll wait till an EM2 shows up in a few years.. thats if I havent bought a 2nd system like a K5MK2 to use to complement the E3. Hopefully by then they may have sorted out the AF system, bulked up the camera a little more.

Regards the E7 - I think it depends on how much effort was actually put into the development of the camera. From that pick of the E7 - I;d say ergonomically its the better of the two, and performance with FT glass should have been better than the E5 (right now were looking at nearly as good as an E5 in good light but in poor light worse than the E3 + needing an adapter). That pic of the E7 clearly shows its a mock up. Oly's moved on from FT .. so would they have really put that much time and effort into the E7 even as the last throw of the dice for the E-system ? I think not as they put minimal effort into the E5 when they had a full 3 years to do so and switched their focus to m43.

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:07 PM   #7

I don't know what to make of Donald. He moved on to the high-end Nikon full frame DSLR's and most of his posts in the micro four-thirds forum, and he's out there quite a bit, have been from the perspective of "you'd be a fool to be using these cameras". If his comment about E-M1 continuous AF is compared to the D4 he primarily uses, and he was using the D4 with a 200-400mm f4 to compare to the (loaner) E-M1 and Zuiko lenses while he was capturing those images, well, duh(!), the D4 should be much, much better, and the E5 is no continuous AF champion.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Very interesting and informative analysis, and I think you of the better articles that I have read on the subject. You can find it here:

http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php...wisdom_matures

Maybe the the EM1 is indeed the best there is atm, but they did put it in a hell to small body. Holding on the E-3/E-5 size would have been perfect.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:15 PM   #9

I love my E-3 and have no plans to buy a new camera. But if I was in the market, I would be very interested in the M1, since I loved using my film OM-2 for many years with big telephotos. The size was just fine, and the M1 looks to be a similar size to my OM-2.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote