Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:22 AM   #1

Default EM1 - built to outperform DSLRs ..well according to Olympus UK

http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras/

I think someone at Oly marketing needs a talking to or a slap .. I mean built to outperform DSLRS what the heck is that supposed to mean ?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:56 AM   #2

I'm not in the market for another camera, and I'm very satisfied with my E-3, But from my perspective, I have to agree with Olympus on the points that they are saying.

Olympus ad:"...it outperforms D-SLR cameras both in terms of its size and imaging excellence..."
I don't dispute that, the size is very appealing to a lot of photographers, and many are going to find it's size to be a nice change from a heavy dslr when you are carrying around a camera all day. And the photo quality seems excellent and does not take a back seat to 95%+ of the other dslrs on the market.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I'm not in the market for another camera, and I'm very satisfied with my E-3, But from my perspective, I have to agree with Olympus on the points that they are saying.

Olympus ad:"...it outperforms D-SLR cameras both in terms of its size and imaging excellence..."
I don't dispute that, the size is very appealing to a lot of photographers, and many are going to find it's size to be a nice change from a heavy dslr when you are carrying around a camera all day. And the photo quality seems excellent and does not take a back seat to 95%+ of the other dslrs on the market.
I wouldn't say it's going to outperform all DSLR cameras and certainly not the full frame Canon's and Nikon's in the 2500.00 range. But then you cannot expect to get that kind of performance in a camera that costs less than half of one of those. But I will bet that most people probably could not tell the difference when comparing photos unless they were professional photogs.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 2:20 PM   #4

Quote:
But then you cannot expect to get that kind of performance in a camera that costs less than half of one of those
Why not?

My $200 iPhone non-telephone performance is much more than that $5,000 IBM XT from 28-yrs ago.

Quote:
.......unless they were professional photogs
OR read the EXIF data!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 2:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Why not?

My $200 iPhone non-telephone performance is much more than that $5,000 IBM XT from 28-yrs ago.

OR read the EXIF data!
Yes, but Bob, I am not comparing a modern day camera with one that is 28 years old.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes, but Bob, I am not comparing a modern day camera with one that is 28 years old.
....not my point.

Quote:
But then you cannot expect to get that kind of performance in a camera that costs less than half of one of those
I may not get it right now but I CAN expect performance from a camera costing 1/2 of a Canon or Nikon or any other camera and it will happen one day.

I'm a lifelong tech guy, spent my entire adulthood about it, working, creating, and hobbying with it. Think of mainframe & PC computers and peripherals, handheld scientific calculators, wrist watches, automobile technies.

Dick Tracy would tell anyone the same thing, when it involves hi-tech devices expect it because it will happen and soon, costs will increase but the results will be way more than what double-costs today are.

I gotta go to supper now TTY'all later.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:29 AM   #7

Quote...
"it outperforms D-SLR cameras both in terms of its size and imaging excellence."

Really...? Define "imaging excellence"... and size- well,it's small- but some (like myself) might not like that..!
It's IQ might be "excellent",but not a term one could use as a measure,especially when trying to make comparisons..!
Also,given that Olympus still sell DSLR's and their lenses... a curious marketing play...!!
In addition, given that the EM5 was quite a bit behind something like the Nikon D3200 in the DXO labs,I don't think DSLR manufacturers will be worrying just yet about the EM1's impact....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 6:12 AM   #8

Compared to the E3/5 or anything that size, then the EM1 def. has a size and wieght advantage (pics from camerasize.com):

E3 vs EM1

Olympus E-5 [892 g] weights 79% (395 grams) more than Olympus OM-D E-M1 [497 g] - inc batteries and card

Now if when you compare it to say the K5Mk2 - the size difference isn;t there. Infact I think the K5MK2 is going to be the better of the two ergonomically with its deeper grip.

Pentax K-5 II [760 g] weights 53% (263 grams) more than Olympus OM-D E-M1 [497 g] - inc batteries and card

IQ wise... I'd say there's going to be nothing between the two or the EM1 edges it a wee bit becuase of the newer sensor. Be interesting to see how the new K3 with its new sensor and being the same size as the K5M2 will compare to the EM1.

Not sure on the battery life - but the K5 is 900 exposures (can't be right) compared to the EM1's 350.

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 6, 2013 at 6:21 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:06 AM   #9

With regards to sensor and imaging performance I think we're at a point where even m4/3 is "good enough" for the majority of people. But, in terms of absolute performance the larger sensor will almost always outperform smaller sensors in the similar generation. If a 4/3, aps-c and full frame sensor come out in 2014 you can expect performance to pretty much fall in-line with sensor size. What seems to make more of a difference is what companies do with AA filters AND image processing engines. The latter isn't so important to RAW shooters but I would bet the vast majority of shooters still shoot jpeg.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:09 AM   #10

the important thing to me is not really about size or weight
its whether the thing works or not

M5 could do the job, sorta
but the EVF and pdAF swings M1 over it

even on M5 7-14 AF wasnt completely terrible, but M1 is better
saves me scrapping the system and going FF anyways...
wouldnt look forward to that
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote