Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:53 AM   #1

Default EM1 and AF issues with FT glass

Hi Guys

Just a wee heads up incase you've not been following a few of the posts over at dpr of the EM1 and FT glass. It looks as there's some initial issues the EM1 when used with FT lenses inc. EVF blackout (could well be a camera setting), CAF and AF not working well with horizontal lines.

EM1 - AF does not focus well with horizontal lines
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3563507

First look at the EM1 and 300F2.8
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3562251

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:11 AM   #2

theres a solution to blackout, cancel it completely

not sure the horizontal line thing is any kind of big deal either.
Most things that moron posts are over inflated BS to straight out lies

I guess if your model has a horizontal eye it could be a problem

CAF is still the thing, it could be that it only works well with m43rds lenses
that 43rds lenses are not capable of speed focussing
might find out soon

Last edited by Rriley; Oct 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:36 PM   #3

I looked at those bird shots and I didn't think they were very sharp, not for a camera and lens of that caliber. Of course I do not know what the resolution is when you click on the photo so...........
Steve's shots with the E-3 and 55-200 lens look fantastic compared to those.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:06 PM   #4

The processing/additional compression DPReview uses in displaying image files people upload to that site is less than ideal. That's saying it nicely, and if one uploads less than full resolution images to that site to begin with (which most people do), it's even worse. Just about any other site else is a better place to view a picture if the idea is to judge image quality. It's too bad there's no link to a home site for the user with higher resolution versions.

I share Riley's thoughts, often, about the poster he refers to, but I'll have to say he did also post this in that same thread, and he does actually own the E-M1, he's not just out there posting "stuff"...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52371136

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:04 PM   #5

I read and believe the things in DP Review about as often as I win a million bucks in playing the Florida Lotto. LOL
Steven R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:18 PM   #6

couple of responses

if you take out record view you dont get blackout
- how many SLRs can do that

if you shoot multi point array Im sure the horizontal line thing just doesnt happen.

Neds images on his flickr seem to be better,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98426269@N03/
likewise DPR kills all my image sharpness into something worse than newsprint quality
I think its going to be a camera where oversharpening will be all too easy to do
maybe he's being a little careful in that respect

and lastly
I had this guy after his 7-14 vs Sigma 12- something thread, lets just say honesty was found to be somewhat lacking, and he was banned for quite some time on that basis.
He also managed to get permanently banned from 43rds photo for similar activities. let me say up front I get my share of bans too, but for 'behaviour' to other patrons not posting BS.

He has a habit of coming in with this type of thread, '43rds vs the known universe',
he seems happiest canning 43rds while forgiving everything else such as D800 being the most repaired camera in history, and the free ride for the D600 self lubricating sensor.

I dont want to give the impression that there isnt a problem
Im sure there are things that are well, different
and likewise from m43rds, just as with 43rds, there are things that need to be done
I just think the overhype kills the detracting argument, and that isnt right

Last edited by Rriley; Oct 22, 2013 at 9:29 PM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The processing/additional compression DPReview uses in displaying image files people upload to that site is less than ideal. That's saying it nicely, and if one uploads less than full resolution images to that site to begin with (which most people do), it's even worse. Just about any other site else is a better place to view a picture if the idea is to judge image quality. It's too bad there's no link to a home site for the user with higher resolution versions.

I share Riley's thoughts, often, about the poster he refers to, but I'll have to say he did also post this in that same thread, and he does actually own the E-M1, he's not just out there posting "stuff"...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52371136
Then to me, it doesn't make much sense for them to post pictures when the reader cannot get a true visualization of the image quality. It's so so at best.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:18 AM   #8

I agree, especially for images already downsized by the user. I used to upload a lot of images to folders on that site. I'll still load links to full resolution images, with an ability to leave there and go view them on my own web site.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I agree, especially for images already downsized by the user. I used to upload a lot of images to folders on that site. I'll still load links to full resolution images, with an ability to leave there and go view them on my own web site.
Good idea Greg. And to me, charts does not do anything for an amateur like me. I like to see full rez pictures where I can be the judge of what I actually can expect in image quality. I don't take pictures of lines and graphs.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post

and lastly
I had this guy after his 7-14 vs Sigma 12- something thread, lets just say honesty was found to be somewhat lacking, and he was banned for quite some time on that basis.
I've had him on my Ignore List and there aren't many folks on that list besides Amalric, and Sergey in his various reincarnations.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote