Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:18 AM   #1

Default Something about the E1 and at ISO 100-200

I've been going through my old pics in between my studies and job hunting and started looking at the number of pics that I've taken over the years and there are a lot of crap/terrible pics in the mix! Whats got me is who good the E1 pics look at base ISO100-200 - I can't put my finger on it and my settings are the same for both E1/E3 pics within LR but there's a subtle but noticeable difference - basically no noise at base ISO and their richer in colour. Will be posting some old snaps when I get a chance later on today.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:41 PM   #2

Not the same sensor?

Gears: Olympus Gears including OM-D E-M5 and E-M1 with 12-50mm, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 25 and 45mm f1.8, 40-150 f3.5-5.6 and MMF2/3 4/3 adapters. Olympus E-30 DSLR, 9-18mm, 12-60mm SWD, 35mm Macro, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm, FL-36R. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, and it is more than enough ... I hope!
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Not the same sensor?
No, the 5 meg E-1 Kodak sensor is not the same as the 10 meg Panasonic sensor that was used in the E-3. Lot of folks still like the color quality of that Kodak sensor.
Steven R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:59 PM   #4

Maybe getting the E-500 back (my first DSLR) for cheap is a good idea?

Gears: Olympus Gears including OM-D E-M5 and E-M1 with 12-50mm, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 25 and 45mm f1.8, 40-150 f3.5-5.6 and MMF2/3 4/3 adapters. Olympus E-30 DSLR, 9-18mm, 12-60mm SWD, 35mm Macro, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm, FL-36R. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, and it is more than enough ... I hope!
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Actually, there are some folks who have done that for the Kodak sensor. And I have heard so many people praise the E-1 picture quality and handling, that the thought of obtaining a cheap used E-1 has crossed my mind.
Steven R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Actually, there are some folks who have done that for the Kodak sensor. And I have heard so many people praise the E-1 picture quality and handling, that the thought of obtaining a cheap used E-1 has crossed my mind.
For the cost I say you can't go wrong. I still think the E-1 is the nicest camera I have ever used ads far as shooting goes. Great ergonomics, almost no shutter lag, nice viewfinder and weather sealed. I have shot mine in toatl downpours w/o any issues. Only downside is the TINY LCD on it. Almost useless.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:47 AM   #7

You for the amount the E1 is going for these days .. I'd say its a steal, although the E3 is so close to it in pricing that even the E3 looks to be a steal as well.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Gilles, if you're asking the question I think you're asking, yes the E-500 (and E300 but not the E-330) also used a Kodak sensor - the KAF-8300CE. The E-1 used an older (of course) Kodak sensor - the KAF-8300CE. As I recall, both sensors were prized for their color rendition at the time. I have kept my E-500 for that reason - it's not easy to quantify but there's just something about those Kodak sensors.

Whether you'd like the E-1 more or less than the E-500 is hard to say. The E-1 was sorta based on its predecessor, the E10/20 camera which had the best ergonomics of any camera I have ever used, before or since (although the L1 comes close). But I skipped the E-1 because at the time it was really out of my price range and also because they inexplicably decided to leave out a second flash card slot. Then, as now, I was primarily doing event photography and back then flash memory cards didn't have a lot of storage space. Not being able to keep shooting simply by switching the camera to a second internal card was a show-stopper for me. It wouldn't be that for most people.

I think you'd be happy with either camera but if I were going back to get one of the two I'd probably lean towards the E-1. It's ergonomics would trump the potential for slightly less noise in the newer sensor in the E-500. You'll be using either one in daylight or with a flash so I doubt the noise difference would manifest.

Just my 2 worth and keep in mind that I've never shot with an E-1.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:49 AM   #9

The E1 is one of the best DSRL I had, the rich and sharp pictures from this camera is just incomparable.

MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:31 AM   #10

Ahh, more eye candy from Marcello. As to the E-1, there is a nice looking body for sale on eBay for 75 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-EVOL...item43c823134e