Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:35 PM   #1
Default Absolutely fantastic bird in flight shots.

Check out this website from Italian photographer Pellegrini.

IMHO these are some of the best BIF shots that I can remember seeing.
Since everything was taken with Olys M-1, E-5, and E-620, it definitely shows that Olys are fully capable of fantastic birds in flight action shots.

(For all of us who complain about Oly not being able to take good BIF shots, I guess this proves we have no one to blame but ourselves, not the equipment.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:10 PM   #2

Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
IMHO these are some of the best BIF shots that I can remember seeing.
Agreed. I might as well sell my camera right now and take up crochet. :-/

chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:39 AM   #3

These are very nice shots indeed but the argument isn't that Oly cams can't do BIF, but rather they can't do it well. We have no idea how many shots the photographer had to take to get these few keepers, or how many even better ones he missed. Despite shooting at an Osprey hunting ground there is not a single action shot, just start of hunt and flying off with the fish. Maybe he couldn't get the right sight lines for it, or maybe the camera just isn't capable of getting that type of shot. These shots are to me more proof to me that it is just a total shame Oly couldn't get it right when it came to CAF. The created a great system for wildlife photography with some incredible glass but most users who tried it ended up with other brands because they just couldn't get the shots they wanted on anything close to a consistent basis. Kudos to the photographer here for sticking with Oly and making the most of it, it is nice to see the 300/2.8 put to such good use.

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:38 PM   #4

Thanks for posting this fellow's website and body of work.

His work is stunning. The images he has posted are a compliment to his skill and the quality of the Oly 300mm F2.8.

While I tend to agree with John relative to the percentages of keepers vs shots that he's taken, It isn't accurate to say that he does not show any BIF.
If you look thru his various galleries, the kingfisher, for one, there are ample examples.

Also, from my view, there are other people whose BIF work can be found on the web using Oly equipment that is stunning and beyond anything I have ever been able to accomplish-regardless of equipment.

I'm just happy to be able to enjoy seeing the results of masters at their craft.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:42 PM   #5

Yes Zig you are right about the quality of his work, I did not mean to imply at all that it was less than stellar. Just pointing out the lack of 'strike' shots where the Osprey is at or near the water with a fish as a possible sign that the camera wasn't capable of grabbing that type of shot given the need for a really responsive AF and fast burst mode. I for one would be thrilled to get shots as good as these for sure and doubt very much that I could given the same equipment.

ps. Good to see you on here Zig, I still miss seeing the beautiful work you did with Oly gear.
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:26 PM   #6

His work is stonkingly good.. and some of the best that I've seen in a long while from an Oly .. barring some of you guys ..

I do have to go along with John on this one regards the CAF system and it makes me wonder if Oly had put some serious effort into improving its AF system in the E5 to bring it up to par. When i look at his work, it makes me wonder how well is he able to track and lock focus on such fast moving little critters and thus what his keeper rate is.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:40 PM   #7

Amazing shots, looks like the combo EM-1 + 4/3 lens offer better AF capabilities than 4/3 bodies. Well we have to admit also the ability of this photographer using his gear.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote