Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:22 PM   #1
Default Elite Womens Road Race - Ride Londoon 2015

Now back to some elite cycle racing ..

Last week was the Prudential Ride London 2015 and I went just to the first day of events. To be honest I had thought by now I would have switched to a Nikon D800 or something similar for these kind of events but thats not happened and the deposit for hiring the stuff as first time customer was a wee bit prohibitive!

I took the E3 and the 35-100F2 with me and surprised myself with what I was able to get - its still nothing like how I want to be able to shoot but I think one or two of the pics were good.

I left the battery pack at home as it just adds weight and unlike the packs for Canon\Nikon I don't think improves the performance of the setup.

Total of 320 shots taken

1. No 62 Louise Moriarty of Les Filles Racing Team

2. No 55 Karla Boddy of Team IKON Maxda

3. Neck and Neck - No 85 Emily Kay of Team USN, No 87 Emily Nelson of Team Matrix Racing and another member of Team USN

4. No 21 Maria Giulia Confalonieri of Team Ale Cipolinni and No 92 Jo Tindley of Team WNT

5. No 12 Heather Fischer of Team Matrix Pro Cycling

6. Some one from Team Wiggle Honda

7. Race Leader - last and final lap

The rest of the pics - 40+ from the day, which I think are "all" criticaly sharp are in the gallery here:

Even though I was shooting pretty much wide up - F2.2 - 2.8 I think there's still too much DOF and wonder how say a Canon/Nikon setup would have looked at those apertures.

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 9, 2015 at 1:56 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:10 PM   #2

Harj: I've looked and these and also went thru your galleries, and I think that you have an outstanding selection of A+ photos! Really good job on those lady racers with the sharpness, color, and contrast spot-on. I could really sense the competitive drive of the contestants that you managed to capture in your shots. Those could easily qualify as sport magazine quality.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:29 AM   #3

Nice shots Harj. I especially like number 3, and the crop on Smugmug. The determined looks on the riders' faces is also a plus point.

I don't normally take shots of events like this, although I did have a go at a similar event two years ago while on holiday in Brittany - I'll post some of the better results soon.

I agree about the DOF problem, though. With so much action, you need fast shutter speeds, which inevitably means keeping the lens as wide open as possible, which in turn reduces DOF. The dilemma is that sometimes you want the DOF and sometimes you don't. It also depends on the choice of lens lens and its design. Perhaps a longer focal length might have solved your problem, and possibly introduced some new ones. Ah, the fun of photography.
E-30, 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, EC-20, FL-36R.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
JGlazz is offline   Reply With Quote