Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:23 PM   #1
Default Got a Grab & Go Camera

I've been busy and haven't been doing much photography in quite a while. I realized that since there's not much to shoot at my house, I've been unnecessarily married to only carting my Oly E-5 gear, great as it is, around to other places. So I got to thinking about how much I enjoyed shooting with the old Oly E20 - small, light, great ergonomics, and a 35-140mm (eq) f/2.0 - 2.4 lens. However that sensor is way too dated. Well, last year Panasonic produced a modern equivalent of that camera:

It's a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ300 with a 12.1 megapixel, 1/2.3-inch sensor, 4K Video, splash & dustproof body, and a Leica 24X F2.8 (25 mm to 600 mm eq.) lens. At $450 today it's less expensive than almost all of my Oly and Leica 4/3 lenses. I've started to play around with it and hope to post some photos soon. Yes, I'm a sucker for Leica glass - my second film camera was a used Leica IIIf Red-Dial 1950s-era rangefinder.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 9, 2016 at 6:38 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:53 PM   #2

Hi Ted: That is an excellent little camera; several folks on one of the other photography site that I frequent have that model and two other of the FZ series. They all have big dslrs and bought them as second carry around cameras. They all seem really pleased with them.

I don't have any trouble with posting from Smugmug, but sometime back they changed they posting method a little. And double check your gallery settings for sharing photos.

I don't know why your photos are not showing in this post. I went to your website, and when I click the share photos icon, a completely different menu showed from what I see in my site. ????
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:11 PM   #3

G'day Ted

Over the years we've had a series of FZs in the stable, from their 3mpx ~ 10x zoom jobs up to the FZ200 now. "SWMBO" has the FZ200 and her SLR never gets much of a look-in these days

A couple of years back, the FZ200 went to Africa on a tour and many of the images she returned with were real crackers - now in a coffee-table book

Enjoy your new Leica glass and I'm sure that we'll see some of your images soon
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:33 PM   #4

Hi, Ted! Long time no see.

I picked up the FZ1000 about 6-7 months ago. I was shoot with a Fuji HS50 prior to that. The large sensor, Leica lens, good feature set, and a bunch of primo images from some users on my forum sold me. I'm very glad I made the switch. I use my bridge camera quite regularly at Civil War reenactments, bird shots, studio shots... pretty much the gamut. I even sold my Pentax K-30 due to lack of use. I'm pretty sure you'll find your FZ200 quite versatile and you won't have to lug around a bunch of "stuff" to get some pretty spectacular shots.
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote