Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:38 PM   #1

I have the E-1 with the 14-54, 11-22 and 50-200 lenses.
We are traveling to the Canadian Rockies this summer and I am considering getting the 1.4 TC to suppliment the 14-54 lens (give it a little extra reach). I don't plan on taking the 50-200 along - most of my travel photos tend to use the wide angles more than the tele - and I will be taking the 14-54 and probably the 11-22 lenses.
Is it worth the purchase to use with the 14-54? I love the 50-200, but use the other two lenses much more. Thanks.
Swandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 1:26 PM   #2

Although I do not shoot with an E-1, from my experience in the Canadian Rockies you will want the 50-200. I can't see leaving it behind. Some of the most dramatic landscapes will come through the use of artful cropping with a telephoto. Don't get me wrong - there are amazing wide-angle landscapes- what I usually shoot - but the distances are so great in the Rockies and the air so clear that telephoto landscapes are part of the beauty of phtoography there.
luxborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 5:49 PM   #3

Yeah, I agree with lux - I live in Colorado and use my 50-200 with my E-1 quite a bit. Is part of your reluctance carrying the gear? If so, I recommend a Domke Giraffe Front Pack - allows hands free carrying of the E-1 with the 50-200 on the camera and you can stor eone other smaller lens in the side pocket. Then when you want to use the smaller lens, you can tighten down the strap on the main storage compartment for you 50-200 and carry the camera around your neck. I do this on long hikes as well as street shooting and it works very well. Columbia also makes a nice lightweight vest (REI.com is where I bought mine) that provide additional room for storing camera gear, - you can carry the 50-200 in one of the side pockets with the hand-brace and hood on. I too plan to get the tel convertor to use with my E-1, hopefully before the rebate deal expires! I hope this helps.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote