Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:23 PM   #1

OK, I am going to buy one of these two. Have read all the reviews and gotten prices on both.

:?Still don't know.

Most pics will be close up of rocks, macro range. Could be day or night w/ minimal lighting for focasing.

Other pics will be of just general stuff and probably some action shots at kids basket, volley, base, football games.

I want a set of lenses that will cover the bases.

coredad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:56 PM   #2

I own a Canon 10D that I purchased last June. I am still waiting for Canon to fix the camera. Their customer service is terrible, rude, and they have lost my account at least 5 times. My Camera had to be rebuilt out of the box due to problems and when I received it back, the camera had the same problems. Again I am waiting for Canon to make a decision. Worst customer service I have ever dealt with and I am dealing directly with a senior level customer service person assigned to my repair and I am dealing with senior level technicians that have so far let me unimpressed and frustrated. I own Olympus cameras and have never had a problem with one. I bought the C-8080 and it had an inherited focus problem. Olympus replaced it within two days of my complaint and the camera is awesome. Canon is absolutely terrible. So if service is on the top of your list, avoid Canon at all costs. Like I said it will be a year this June and I have yet to use my new Canon 10D. Trust me, the folks at Canon could care less about their customers.
KSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:56 AM   #3

ive found the 20d to be amazing. i cant comment on the E-300 as ive never used it, however Olympus doesnt make to many bad cameras.

KSS, you are very unlucky having two bad cameras . I just bought a 300d very cheap and its got no warrenty, i hope all goes fine.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:31 PM   #4

Both are excellent cameras. Just a couple of observations. The Oly E300 costs hundreds less than the 20D, yet its picture quality seems equal to the 20D except at 1600 ISO. (which is easily adjusted by NeatImage). How often do you really need to shoot at 1600 speed?? Oly lenses are second to none, even the cheap kit lens that comes with the E300 produces great images.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"With 2 such good cameras, price should be a consideration, as camera prices will continue to drop, just like computers used to do. And the more you pay initially, just means greater depreciation when you decide to trade it for the next "new & approved" model.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Anyway, you will be satisfied with either camera, so have fun with your new camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"(PS: I own 4 digicams; I'll keep my Oly C8080 until it absolutely wears out! I enjoy it even better than a dslr.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote