Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:38 AM   #1

If you had to choose a second lens for the E-300 lens kit (Zuiko 14-45mm), which would you choose? Why?

Olympus Zuiko 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Sigma 55-200mm F4-5.6 DC

Would one lens have better image quality over the other with the FourThirds system?

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:47 AM   #2

I'm just about ready to buy, and if I do, my second lens will actually be my first--the price here in Japan for body with kit lens is virtually the same as the price for body alone. So I'm going to be getting the 14-54mm f2.8, which by all accounts is superior to the kit.

--Now if that's my first lens, my second one will be the f2.0 50mm macro. Expensive, but a necessary one for the kind of macro work I like to do from time to time.

The third will be a long telephoto with x1.4 teleconverter. Haven't decided which lens however (Olympus or Sigma).
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 1:34 AM   #3

ZD 40-150 is obviously better than Sigma 55-200. I did not mean Sigma bad however.

If you paid attention on their MTF chart, ZD 40-150 seem reliable than Sigma 55-200 DC. MTF test on ZD 40-150 used 20lines/mm and 60lines/mm, while Sigma used 10 lines/mm and 30 lines/mm (as well as other manufacturer lens). This mean that ZD 40-150 more reliable for its resolving power than Sigma and other 35 mm lens based. This is useful if you do tight (or very tight) cropping.

Zuiko lenses also smart lenses since they are equipped with microchip individually. This chip will report to the body regarding lens problems (which may occured) such as distortion, CA, pincushion, fall off, etc. Afterthen the body or Olympus master/studio will correct the problem. Thus only Zuiko lenses those can be tuned up through firmware. The third party 4/3 lenses cannot as well as the other 35 mm based lenses.

Some said that Sigma must be stopped down (F/7.1) when used at focal length more than 150 mm. Otherwise, the resulted images would be soft.

However, you cannot make a good picture with ZD at focal length more than 150 mm, can you?

Cheers and sorry 4 my english
zoegy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:12 AM   #4

zoegy73 wrote:
sorry 4 my english
No problem with the English, Zoegy. As it turned out, I went ahead and got the Sigma 55-200 as my "third" lens. I haven't had much time to try it out, but I have the feeling it's going to be a "tripod only" lens, particuarly until I figure out just what its actual performance is like. I don't want camera shake to interfere with my appreciation of what the lens itself is doing :?: When I can afford it (in my next lifetime), I'll probably get the Oly 50-200. . . but then I'll have to haul it around, and it's pretty heavy.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote