Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:23 PM   #1

wondering if this is a good camera and wondering why the price is dropping threw the roof.
the wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:15 PM   #2

I love the E-300. The SSWF is a great feature. The feel of the camera is quite comfy and it seems very solid. It takes great pics and the price makes it hard to beat. If you need to shoot high ISO, this may not be your camera but that wasn't a concern for me at all. I have had it for a month and would buy it again. I am not sure why the price is dropping but I don't believe it has anything to do with the quality or the features of the camera.
debkobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:38 AM   #3

Hi: digital cameras are at a similiar stage as computers a few years ago, the price will continue to drop, and features will improve. As competition brings out new features and models, all competitors drop prices to stay competitive. Just go back 4 or 5 years and see how expensive, and with less power, the digital camera prices were.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:18 PM   #4

the wrench wrote:
wondering if this is a good camera and wondering why the price is dropping threw <sic> the roof.
I only wish the price was dropping here in Japan (it's not). I bought mine ten days or so ago and at this point am entirely pleased. The price is probably dropping elsewhere due to the hype surrounding new 8MP entries like the Canon EOS Digital Kiss N (Rebel XT) and the Pentax Ist. --Both of those are fine cameras, and all three will produce fine images, so you should handle them, check out the ergonomics and little features before deciding.

The worst criticism of the evolt has been its poor high-ISO performance; Canon has that area sewn up, so if you need lots of quick out-of-camera shots of fast sports, or dark stage productions, the Canon is probably the place to go, but with a modicum of post-production care, the evolt can also take fine photos at high ISOs (judicious use of post-production NR like Neatimage, Noise Ninja, etc.). You have to judge what you want. Viewed charitably, Olympus gives you the control over how far to go with NR, rather than fixing it in the camera by default.

The two evolt firmware updates have apparently corrected the ESP exposure and white-balance issues some reviewers noted for early production models (I loaded the firmware first thing after buying mine and haven't noticed any problems at all); they also provide support for high-speed CF cards. If you can get the two-lens kit, it's a real bargain. From what I've seen and read, the Oly kit lenses are higher quality than those furnished with the Canon. The 40-150 is incredibly good for the price. And yes, the SSWF and in-camera pixel mapping features are Oly exclusives at this point.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:09 PM   #5

I don't have any inside info, but my guess would be that Olympus is trying to cut into the market share Nikon and Canon hold, and the easiest way to do that is produce a good product and sell it for less.... the 2 lens deal attracts me and I plan on buying one in the next week or so... hope the 2 lens deal is still going on then...:roll:
HornOUBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:00 PM   #6

Perhaps Olympus, hoping to make money selling lenses in the aftermarket, is attempting to create as large a customer base as possible before more competition arises in the DSLR market and siphons off sales. For example, the image-stabilized Minolta Maxxum 5D, if it has a good kit lens and a competitive street price, could pose real sales problems for the Olympus E300. Picture samples for the 5D on Minolta's site look pretty good.

I'm not dissing the E300 in the least--it's just that more DSLR choices for the consumer will dilute the demand and force prices downward for all but the newest cameras and fewer camera bodies in the hands of consumers means lowered potential for future lens sales.

Paul H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:29 PM   #7

It's the same with any new product...when it first comes out the research and design has to be paid for. After a while the product becomes cheaper after the inital costs have been paid for.

I can even say the same thing about the Commodore 64...when it first came out the computer sold for over $800. When I bought mine it was $400. When I worked for a Commodore dealer we were selling them for $200.

It's just part of product development.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote