Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:20 PM   #1

Browsing DPreview forum recently came across an interesting discusion on using or not UV or Skylight filters for lens protection. Just about every option possible came up and most with some merit ranging from they softened the photo, attracted more lens flare, some makes better than others etc etc and then of course the complete opposites. Then of course to the lens protection aspect as one put it, your just as likely to drop the camera, or bash the body or even worse the LCD screen and the lens protection aspect would have no bearing at all on saving your camera from damage and the lens shade would be equally as effective from a frontal impact, or simply keep the lens cap on which only takes a moment to remove for taking instant pictures. Personally I've always bought a lens protector with every camera that could take one but this discussion made me wonder. So whats the general view and even more so, what's Steve's view point - to protect permanantly, occasionaly or not really worth the bother.
Clive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 5:50 PM   #2

I've used UV or skylight filters on all my earlier cameras, but I've decided to go without on the E-300. After reading the same things you have, I decided that general lens protection would probably be just about as good by leaving the hood on (which I do always when shooting), and since modern coatings are harder than the old ones. The lack of another piece of non-Oly glass is probably a good thing.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:00 PM   #3

I'm waiting to hear what Steve say's.
HornOUBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:17 AM   #4

Fit a high quality UV filter on it, unless you think that continually cleaning the lens - which could well affect the coatings! - is a safer bet, which I certainly do NOT! A lens cap will not stop the ingress of 'muck' whilst you are using it, and the use of wet cleaners or canned air, which has been known to damage coatings, isn't as safe an option as some would have you believe. Other than UVs, could impact on the colour balance to a greater extent than is the case with film cameras as sensors are more sensitive to colour temperature changes. Then of course is the main reason for fitting a filter, preventing unintentional scratches and scuffing against material in camera bags etc ... Not using a filter, unless you are in a controlled environment eg a studio all the time, is a no-brainer unless you like buying replacement lenses when a scratch or scuffing occurs, which could be from something as a piece of paper, which freshly cut, can cut your finger, so you can imagine what it will do to a lens coating!
SamsSauce is offline   Reply With Quote