Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 26, 2005, 8:01 PM   #1

Hey I am new here. I have an Olympus E1 and I admit it's more camera than I have knowledge. I read the manual. I don't see where I adjust the depth of field so that the entire picture is in focus instead of a small, pinpointed area.

Any suggestions?

Dawn Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 9:33 PM   #2

Depth of Field is controlled by Aperture (smaller apertures, represented by higher f/stop numbers give more depth of field), Focus Distance (the further you are from your subject, the greater the depth of field), and focal length (actual, not 35mm equivalent).

Your E-1 actually hasmore depth of field compared to a 35mm camera at any given focal length, aperture and focus distance. This is because it's sensor is smaller than 35mm film, so it can use shorter focal length lenses to get any 35mm equivalent focal length/angle of view.

So, you have to use a shorter focal length lens for your subject to fill the same percentage of the frame compared to a 35mm SLR.

See this handy Depth of Field Calculator to get a better idea of howthese factors (focus distance, focal length, and aperture) worktogether for depth of field purposes. You can plug in your camera model, aperture, and focus distance and it will calculate the area of acceptable sharpness.

Keep in mind that if you use a longer focal length (or more zoom), you'll need to be further away for your subject to occupy the same percentage of the frame.

You may want to try and find a book on basic photography that explains how aperture impacts both depth of field and exposure. It doesn't have to be specific to digital, since the same concepts apply to film.

If you use smaller apertures (larger f/stop numbers) for greater depth of field, you also require slower shutter speeds for proper exposure (which can cause motion blur in lower light if ISO speed is not fast enough).

Using smaller apertures can also impact flash range, regardless of shutter speed used (since the amount ofexposure caused by the flash burst is dependent on aperture only, since the length of the flash burst is very short).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 10:09 PM   #3

Thank you so much. We were looking more closely and discovered the aperature dial on the camera. I guess within the manuel we expected a section on "depth of field" not realizing they were two in the same. duh!

Anyway, thank you. I will check out the calculator. I am looking into more books as well.

You are a peach! Thanks a heap! dawn
Old May 31, 2005, 10:30 AM   #4

If you have a PDA, either Palm or pocket PC based, you could download this DOF calculator specific for 4/3 system.

This pocket PC version

this palm version

zoegy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 10:51 AM   #5

thanks a heap! I appreciate the help. dawn
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:22 AM   #6

I use the E1 and have one of Sony's Clie PEG TJ27 Palms, on which I have downloaded the DOF calulator mentioned above. Anothe piece of advice / info, is that if you plug your E1 into your computer and then load up Olympus Viewer supplied with your camera on the CD, you can automatically download any electronic upgrades [Firmware Updates] into your camera. If you require more specific info about this and the process involved, by all means contact me, or I;ll post something on this when I've worked out the proceedure for posting on here.

You can view the amount of DOF the camera will give by pressing the button on the R/H side of the body next to the lens-mount, [whilst camera up at your eye] at which point the viewfinder darkens depending on the F-stop you have set.

Within the options on the back of the camera, are some to allow you to set the dials to do things like changing the F-stop & Shutter speed using the front and rear dials of your choice. Also within this menu, is another setting which allows you to re-focus the AF when the camera is set to the 'S' setting via the lever on the L/H side of the body, which is useful if what you want sharp, isn't in the centre of the viewfinder.
SamsSauce is offline   Reply With Quote