Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 23, 2005, 3:28 PM   #1

I've narrowed my choice down to Olympus, but which?

Both seem nice in the hand. E1 seems the better camera, but ... E300 has fill-in flash and 8 megs.

I'm into landscape/nature with a sprinkling of daughter. price of cameras is similar with Jessops in UK selling E1 and 14-54 for £700, just £50 more than the E300 with same lens.

So which one would you go for?

dollyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:30 PM   #2

Forget about any memory that comes with the camera...today 8 megs is NOTHING...if it was 8 GIGS, that would be a different story.

In some ways the E-1 is better, it has a white balance lens which is more accurate, it's weather resistant, even though it's only 5mp.

The E-300 is smaller, lighter, and does have the internal flash.

There's now the E-500 as well, which is like the E-300 in many respects, but it's smaller and lighter still, and has the more traditional SLR-look.

And there's lots of rumours that there's a new professional E being announced in March.

Check all the reviews, here and other review sites...hold the cameras, maybe you don't the larger cameras. Have to say though that many E-300 users first purchases after memory and spare battery is an external flash (myself included)...the internal is handy, but the light from it isn't attractive.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 7:22 AM   #3

Finally settled on E1. Have placed deposit (to get Jessops £700 deal), will get at end of month. Can't wait!
dollyp is offline   Reply With Quote