Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 24, 2005, 4:04 PM   #1

I purchased an E-300 a few weeks ago. I noticed I had the vertical line issue. It appearedon the right side (about 1/8 section) In the original SHQ file, it appeared as white color, when I sized it down for e-mail, it became a black line. I took over 1,000 pics in 2 weeks and the vertical was there in every single picture. As the ISO setting is higher, the line was more apparent.

I called Olympus support with the sample attachments. They determined it was caused by the defective CCD. I immediately called Dell Hardware replacement and they sent me a new E-300 two lens kit and Dell arranged UPS to pick up the defective kit with no charge to me.

After taking around 500 pics with the replacement, the camera proved to be flawless except the view finder only showing 98% of what is recorded to the files (What I see is less that what I get).... It becomes very irritating because I have to crop my pictures so I can get the composition it was intended for. As I gets more critical on my shots, I have to keep in mind that I need to include about 2% less area in my view finder so the correct area will be included in the shot recorded.

I will suggest for all the E-300 owners to take a few pictures with high ISO setting and full resolution, then use the Olympic Master software to do a 1:1 ratio check on the picture from corner to corner to make sure no funny lines appeared. Also, check the view finder composition vs. actual picture recorded (using a tripod will be perfect) to see how the 98% limitation will affect your picture taking experience. A good example will be like the photo shoot I did yesterday with a building excluding the tree next to it. In my view finder, the tree is not there but when I played the recorded pic, part of the tree was there. I ended up taking the pic again excluding a small portion of the building and the recorded pic is fine.... Very frustrating at times!

97zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2005, 4:57 PM   #2

97zoomzoom wrote:
After taking around 500 pics with the replacement, the camera proved to be flawless except the view finder only showing 98% of what is recorded to
It's mentioned in the specs and all the reviews, fwiw (94% iirc).

350XT and 20D, D50/D70, KM 5D/7Dare all in the 95% range; to get 100% you'll have to get 'pro' level dSLR's.

core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 5:09 PM   #3

98% of the recorded photo you get to see in your viewfinder?? You have reason to celebrate!!! I have yet to experience a viewfinder that is that close to perfect. In professional photography, it is kind of nice to have a little "edge" in getting a little more for safety's sake. Rarely did we have on the negative exactly what we delivered to the customer. Cropping is almost taken for granted by pros. Did you ever try to put on a 5 x 7 exactly what is on an 8 x 10? That is why I bought the four thirds system; it is between the proportions of a 5 x 7 and an 8 x 10

Had you considered what your feelings would be if the viewfinder showed you 102% of what actually is recorded.? Then you would have reason to be upset! In the old standard type viewfinder (not SLR) the positioning of the eye would give a slightly different view of what you saw/recorded.

From a pro who in the past lugged around a 4x5 Graphic with a camera bag full of 4x5 filmholders and #11 flashbulbs (1,800 weddings personally photograhed) these modern day marvels are absolutely unbelievable. This weekend I downloaded the 1.3 firmware for my E-300; who would have ever believed such a thing.

A perfectionist is to be admired, but one who will accept nothing less is destined for the "funny farm." Best wishes for a great hobby / profession!
enway is offline   Reply With Quote