Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:18 PM   #1

Has anyone heard of the Tokina 3X converter for Zuiko digital lenses? Do they work well? How are they attached?
pscearcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2006, 2:08 PM   #2

Is this what you are talking about?

vette-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 2:30 PM   #3

I would think that such a converter, made as it is to go on the front of a fixed lens, would not work well with an E-system interchangeable lens. Even if it could be mounted, vignetting would likely be severe.
fishumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:29 AM   #4

Forget about quality and vignetting issues!

Do NOT use this or any other add-on lens onto any dSLR lens, especially ones that extend like the Zuiko kit lenses (14(or17.5)-45 and 40-150).

Lenses like this are designed to be screwed into the body of the camera, not on to the end of the lens (on the C-700, this type of lens screws into a tube adapter which screws into the body of the camera, the add-on lens never even touches the C-700 lens).

I've once seen a Zuiko broken in half, so they can't take much weight. As well, add-on lenses will put a lot of weight and strain on the gear(s) and motor that drives the focusing of these lenses...I have tried my Raynox converter lenses on my kit lenses, and the focus motor couldn't keep up to what was being requested of it by the camera.

The recommended teleconver for the E-500 is the type which goes between the lens and body, like the Olympus EC-14 1.4x teleconverter.

If you don't mind manual focusing or using manual exposure, maybe you might want to look into using Olympus OM lenses with the Olympus MF-1 lens adapter. Check out the lens articles at:

I'm planning to look into some Vivitar OM lenses (70-210mm range which will give me 140-420mm, and see if a OM 2x converter will work well, which could give me 280-840mm).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote