Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:55 PM   #1

I'm considering purchasing this camera but how is it for night shots?? As far as taking scenic night pictures. This would be my first SLR camera. I currently have a Kodak 6340 and I hate it as far as night shots. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
ezduzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:03 AM   #2

Start with how you hate your current camera. What are you trying to do?

If you're expecting an SLR to perform miracles your current camera can't do, you're in for a shock.

If you're not knowledgeable on manual operations (you depend on automatic or scene modes), you'll need to learn a lot for good night pictures.

Also take a look at this recent thread where E-500 night shooting is discussed:
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:59 PM   #3

I upgraded from the same Kodak that you have... I hated it rather quicklyl. The E-500 is great for taking night shots, but with any digital camera you are always fighting the noise. The best alternative to night photography is a software solution called image stacking. Esentially using software to overlap a number of same images over eachother (this way you can minimize the ISO and exposure time). Its rather time taking but the effects are phenomenal.

On the other hand you still will get better night shots using the E-500 if just because of the lense collecting more light.

adamwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:00 PM   #4

Image STacker results

adamwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:16 PM   #5

I would get the f/2.8-f/2.5 lenses, 14-54 and/or 50-200. Shoot in aperture or manual mode for best. I found the night mode is not that great. You will need to do post processing and noise management. ISO 1600 has a lot of noise. Try ISO 800.
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote