Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:43 AM   #1

I started a thread the other day about am I ready for SLR??

Decided I was and am still leaning towards the E500...

Since being only in the digital world I understand zoom... I do not understand all this lens stuff.. I know the E500 most often comes with the 14-45 and 40-150 lens kit. But I don't know what that means.

Can someone explain it to me in terms that might equal zoom on a digital for example??

You help is always appreciated..

Cree77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:22 PM   #2

In digital when they say 10x zoom, actually that has very little meaning in real photography...it's only a marketing gimick to try and impress. The "X" factor only tells you how many times difference there is from the widest wide position to the closest tele position...it could be an 18-180mm, 28-280mm, 38-380mm, 50-500mm, etc. What you need to learn about is 35mm film format equivalent to understand lenses.

In 35mm equiv. 50mm is called "standard" or "normal", equivalent to what the human eye sees. Anything less than 50mm is wider, and anything more than 50mm is closer.

Each camera can have different sensor sizes, and because of that they require different focal lengths to have the same equivalent focal length...that's why the 35mm film format is used to compare lenses (just so there's a common reference). I can have two 38-380mm equivalent cameras but one has the actual focal length of 5.9-59mm, while the other has a 6.3-63mm. Again both are 10x cameras, but you have to get used to not using that term.

Your Kodak DX6490 (you mentioned in another message) is the equivalent of 38-380mm BUT it has the actual focal length of 6.3-63.2mm. On the E-system (or 4/3 system) you have a 14-45mm lens but it has the equivalent of a 28-90mm film format lens (multiply the numbers on the lens by 2x).

You can gain a lot of knowledge from this website about 4/3:

One more thing, you won't be able to use your screw-on 1.7x teleconverter...it's not good for lenses that have externally moving optics to have that much weight on the end of it...you can wear out the gearing inside and burn out the motor that moves the optics.

Just a quick comparison, if you consider your 14-45mm and 40-150mm together, you get 14-150mm or more than 10x. BUT, there's also an 18-180mm lens (albeit softer image) from Olympus, and soon Sigma will be releasing a 50-500mm for the 4/3 system (but no review of it yet). Again these lenses are all 10x, which is why I said that term was meaningless.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:43 AM   #3

Since the E-500 sensor multiplies the lens by a factor of 2, the 14-45 lens becomes a 28-90mm (In 35mm film equivalent, a standard most camera makers refer to) and the 40-150 becomes an 80-300mm. This is very good coverage for a two lens set. For sports of wildlife you may want a longer telephoto, but for general purpose shooting this should suit most folks just fine. Using 50mm as the "normal eyesight" field of view, it gives you continuous wide to tele coverage across the range. I own the 40-150 and am impressed by it's sharpness and build, especially for a kit lens.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote