Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:46 AM   #11

Thanks for the advice, Biro and Shoturtle! I think I want to go with the Panasonic 45-200mm first because I do need more zoom. Then maybe my next purchase will be the pancake lens.

Biro, you mentioned the Olympus lens, but are the pictures just as sharp as the Panasonic?

Shoturtle: I did download the updated firmware - thanks for letting me know. Do you have the viewfinder? If so, what are the major benefits?

It's been so crazy at work for me this week , but hopefully I can post some pictures this weekend.
pfran09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:03 AM   #12

I have the evf, it is great for framing the shot, and makes shooting in bright sunlight a breeze. Also, if get to know the layout really well, you can shoot and change setting while looking through the evf.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:36 PM   #13

I think the Pentax K-x is a more complete camera. Slightly larger than the EPL1 but with an OVF, excellent low light performance and an abundance of great vintage lenses to choose from. The kit with the 50-200mm is going for $650 on Amazon. The EPL1 will cost you more than that if you add the EVF and m4/3 lenses are limited and very expensive.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:02 AM   #14

Each camera has their pros and cons. The dslr is a better tool for action, while the epl-1 is a great travel camera to keep things light giving dslr quality. The point and shoots are convenient for keeping a camera with you.

The epl-1 can shoot 90% of what I shoot. But it is not a good for everything I shoot, dancing and action. But the dslr is a bit large to travel with at time. And when I am on my motorcycle, I want a compact point and shoot for keeping in my jacket pocket.

If you shoot action a dslr would be a better tool. But for landscape and general photography, the epl-1 can cover all that need.

So it comes down to what is more important, size and travel ability, image quality, action need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
Biro,

If you had to choose one "system" to use for all purposes, would you wind up being a Proud Pentaxian, a Merry Micro Four-Thirdsian, or a Loyal Lumixian? From your list of equipment, these cameras seem to be used for different purposes, but would you extend the capabilities of the capabilities of the ELP1 and utilize them or keep the K200D? I'm interested because I'm torn between the Pentax K-x, the Canon T1i, and the Olympus ELP1. Whichever I choose would have just two lenses (maybe three in time), such as the 14-42 and either 40-150 or Panny 45-200 for the ELP 1, or the 18-55 and 55-300 for the K-x.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 24, 2010 at 6:13 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:44 AM   #15

I am leaning strongly towards the EPL-1 and will go today to a local dealer to see it. I know myself well enough to realize that I am much more likely to carry the EPL-1 more often than the larger and heavier K-x, and that makes the difference to me. I would get the EPL-1 with the 14-42 lens + VF-2 viewfinder + Panasonic 45-200 lens, and I think that would cover my immediate needs. Then, I can see what might be added.

shoturtle's series with the 45-200 in this thread helps make the case, too. I believe that it is photographer's responsibility to make the best out of the equipment he has, rather than expecting the equipment to make the photographer. I started with a Brownie in the 1950s, then a Voigtlander rangefinder in the 1960s, and am presently using a Panasonic FZ18 and more than anything, wish to see what quality photographs I can get out of whatever camera I have. Having said that, these modern cameras seem like superb instruments with which to work.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:04 PM   #16

That is a pretty good setup, and actually cover allot of photographic needs, The only thing I have additionally to the oly 14-42 and the panasonic 45-200 is the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter form panny, the olympus 4/3 35mm 3.5 macro and the panasonic 20mm 1.7 pancake. My wife loves shooting flowers and the 35mm 3.5 is very small even with the adapter and does a great job. And the 20mm 1.7 is a nice fast prime for indoor parties and low light shooting. So my whole set up the the epl-1 is compact size with great image quality.

I really like shooting my brothers k-x, but that is a bit large at times to travel with. As the lenses in travel config is still larger then the m4/3 set up.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:22 PM   #17

I saw the Olympus 40-150 f4 and am thinking of it instead of the Panny. It is lighter and less expensive but gets very good reviews. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:24 PM   #18

it is not as small when you add the adapter. It is sold as a kit lens in Europe with the adapter. I go with the more reach between the two. I had consider the 40-150, but the panny was longer, and very sharp. If you are adding the lens and the adapter, it is about the same price.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:39 PM   #19

The fstops are about the same the oly is 4-5.6 the panny is the same, but at 150mm the panny is brighter.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 3:02 PM   #20

The combined lens and adapter is packaged for $199, which is $100 less than the Panasonic. It seems like a good deal.