Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:44 PM   #1

Default Better Micro 4/3 Lenses: Panasonic or Olympus?

I've long been trying to figure out which Micro 4/3 system to jump into. I wanted to go with the one with the best lenses, or at least know if there were any worthwhile differences in cross-manufacturer compatibility between them and I just found a good comparison of micro 4/3 lenses across manufacturer that favors Panasonic:

http://www.h2hreviews.com/article/He...-PEN-E-P2.html

Has anyone else looked at both lenses with each body? I hadn't found any until now. If so, did you find the same differences?
SalGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well, all m4/3 lenses will fit and work properly on all m4/3 bodies. so you are really buying into the m4/3 system and not a manufacturers system.

caveats. olympus body's have image stabilization and their lenses do not. whereas panasonic bodies don't have image stab, but the lenses do.

so using olympus lens on a panasonic body will have no image stab. olympus bodies will have image stabilization for all lenses even legacy.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:07 PM   #3

At 100mm or longer, PEN's IBIS no longer work for video. So don't buy any Oly lens longer than that unless you are very sure you never take video.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:17 PM   #4

I would not concern to much about the kit lens between the 2. M4/3 corrects out the distortions of m4/3 electrical lenses.

The panasonic 20mm 1.7 does not come with IS, so if you mount that on an olympus body, you get the added performance when shooting in low light. Also the olympus has the better jpeg engine if you are not into photo editing as much. As out the camera results are excellent.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
well, all m4/3 lenses will fit and work properly on all m4/3 bodies. so you are really buying into the m4/3 system and not a manufacturers system.
MOST m4/3 lenses will fit and work properly on all m4/3 bodies.

The Panasonic 3D lens (h-ft012), will only work on the GH2 currently due to the firmware required to process the 3D images. Actually you probably could use it on any m4/3 body, except you'll get a single image with the two views side-by-side, and you would have to manually separate them.
Will other m4/3 cameras be upgraded to use this lens, never mind the rest of the cameras in Panasonic's line, who knows.

So far the 3D lens (h-ft012) is the only exception, but it had to be mentioned.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:17 PM   #6

Well, I think neither Olympus nor Panasonic is the better lens. Old manual lenses such as those from Tokina and Tamron are almost the same length (adapter included, about 3.6" vs. 3.3") and even lighter. They cost only $20 or so, the only downside is MF only.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote