Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:07 PM   #1
Default A few new images from Lubbock, Texas this past weekend

This past weekend I travelled up to Lubbock to see my daughter, who just graduated from Texas Tech University this past June.....then called me a couple of weeks ago to tell me she was getting married the next day....I didn't even know she was dating anyone. The next day I began figuring out how I was going to spend all that money she just saved me....

Back to this past weekend, I used my E-PL1, the micro 40-150 and FL50R flash, fitted with the Demb bounce attachment to get some updated images of her two kitties she wanted me to snap for her.

All of these are out-of-camera JPEG files, saved at the FINE compression level.

I also had a chance to take short walk on the Tech campus and snapped a few images using the micro 40-150 and 14-42 kit lens.

The 40-150 is SO light, I'm using shutter speed priority outdoors and setting a high speed to assist with the IS and just letting the camera choose an appropriate aperture and ISO. I also used auto gradation since the sky was cloudless and bright, meaning deep shadows..

1/800 sec at f9, ISO 200 and zoomed to 150mm..

At 150mm again, this time wide open at f5.6, 1/800 second using shutter speed priority and the camera chose ISO 400..

The little kit 14-42 at 14mm..

Then changed the angle on the fountain in the forground and zoomed to the opposite end of the zoom range at 42mm. I did open this image in Adobe Camera RAW and made a slight distortion correction and had to do a little subsequent cropping due to the distortion tweek.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 15, 2010 at 8:52 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:21 PM   #2

As always, your images are perfectly exposed, interesting to view, well composed and framed. Above all, they are really very sharp and detailed.

By the way, you have a great sense of timing as whenever I start wandering off and playing with various legacy lenses you'll post a series of images such as these that convince me that I'm wasting my time trying to use lenses designed for a different technology. The fact is that the latest digital lenses developed by Panasonic and Olympus do what they are intended to do and do it quite well.

and, I don't have to manually focus them.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3

Hi, Zig.

It's hard ignoring the tiny small bag this little outfit will fit into, even including the FL50R flash, VF2 finder.... and the 20mm f1.7 Panasonic that I didn't even use during the weekend.

I just have to be careful using the 14-42 kit lens as it definitely suffers from all the issues in the review posted at DPReview, including being not too sharp at 42mm and wide open at f5.6, but by f8 it's really sharp. At 14mm, image quality starts suffering the more you stop it down so I'm using it at 14mm stopped down no further than f4 or f4.5. The 12-60, hands-down, is the better standard lens but I have to move up one bag size to use it and the kit lens really is an OK lens and it's so small. DPReview just published news about an updated 14-42 with the same fast internal focus system included in the 14-150, 9-18 and new 40-150 micro lenses. It'll be interesting to see if they upgraded the optical formula too. I can see the filter sized changed, so there's hope.

The micro 40-150mm f4-5.6 is just plain sharp at any aperture and focal length.

The FL50R flash and E-PL1 really are an accurate combination. The TTL pre-flash causes animals to close their eyes at the moment of exposure. Happens everytime with my cat and my daughters cats. Using TTL flash, you wind up with really well exposed images of cats with all their eyes closed, so I use the non-TTL auto to get rid of the preflash and aperture priority at f8, which worked perfectly. A few were shot across the room so I would not be in their face and I was bouncing a lot of the flash off the ceiling so at the longer distances I had to go to ISO 800 to cover the distance and was impressed as ever with the JPEG engine and the standard noise filter setting.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 15, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:32 PM   #4

I agree with Zig...

So sharp and clean, very nice indeed...!
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:50 AM   #5

....been wondering:
Happens everytime with my cat and my daughters cats
My cat too, very seldom with the eyes wide open, I will try your tech..........

Congratulations on the $$$$ savings,
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote