Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Default Some more NHL action E-PL1 and micro 40-150 f4-5.6

All in-camera JPEG's, Large Fine setting, shot at ISO 2000, 1/800 second wide open at f5.6 and 150mm from the upper deck, row 1. Anywhere from a little to a substantial amount of cropping in Adobe Camera RAW as well as some white balance adjustments. Some late night editing and just uploaded what I considered the better images, and then a few of those posted here.

Through the goalies legs and it just slid by the net..

Playing the puck from his backside..

Under the goalies pads..

and through to the net..

Just a little case of shielding the goalies eyesite..

Roadblock to a score..

Another good save..

Traffic jam in front..

Clanging one off the pipes. A split second later this bounced off the goalie and just over the line for the winning score..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:35 AM   #2

Pretty freakin' good!
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:02 PM   #3
Default Noise reduction

What were your noise reduction settings in camera? Did you need a lot of post processing to get these shots to look good? I'd like to try this out in some of the better lit rinks my kids play in.
finja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:58 PM   #4

The Standard noise filter setting was what I used, which is the default in-camera setting.

The post processing I did consisted of simply cropping the images to what you see here as 150mm is a little short for shooting from the upper deck of an NHL arena. 200mm is even a little short if you want to avoid any cropping at all in my experience of using the 50-200 SWD on my Olympus DSLR.

The other post processing consisted of slightly tweeking the color balance as television lighting on the white ice can generate some color casts you have to try and mitigate. I never can get it right in-camera.

Besides that, there was no other work done. The cameras' JPEG engine is guite good. Lighting levels is the key. NHL arenas are flooded with light for television, making somewhat slow lenses like the 40-150 f4-5.6 perfectly useable. They turn the lights down in-between periods and, even then, the lighting was good enough to generate a 1/500 second shutter speed.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote