Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:27 PM   #1
Default Panasonic 20mm on EPL1

Just took the plunge and bought a Panasonic 20mm... I didn't like my results with the kit lens indoors and the focal length on a couple of adapted lenses I bought was too long.

In general I'm happy with the lens and image quality. ISO stays pretty low indoors now!

A couple of points that I was surprised about:

Fit - The panny fits the E-PL1 mount very tightly. None of my other lenses or adapters have this problem. I may be getting paranoid but I'm almost afraid to twist it on and off because I'm afraid of breaking the camera mount!

Noise - I was surprised by the amount of noise from the lens. The aperature blades click loudly and autofocus is noisy too. But it does seem to focus faster than the kit lens.

Aperature blades - Maybe I never noticed this since on my kit lens its not visible (or audible) but in Aperature priority mode when I set the aperature to F1.7 the blades are still clicking into different positions as I focus the lens on different objects. I would have expected them to stay wide open... why is this happening?

finja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:40 PM   #2

I do not have this lens but have read in different places this is a characteristic of that lens. I think the noise you are hearing is just the af motor as it is fixed focal length & aperture is constant to where you set it.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote