Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:46 PM   #1

Default Love panny 14-42mm lens!

I've been struggling with buying a lens for my EPL1 because the kit lens simply cannot do video. The Panny 14-140 is too heavy and expensive; the oly 14-150 does not have OIS, useless for video. The 40-150 and 45-200 are too long at the shortest ends.

Finally saw someone on vemio saying the panny 14-45 is as good as the 14-140 for video. However the price at $300 is a little too high for a kit lens. Then saw the newer 14-42 was much cheaper and did video as well; so I bought one on ebay for less than $150.

Yeah, this lens does video perfectly well, focusing smoothly, quickly and quietly. Its OIS cannot be enabled on EPL1 though (the 14-45 can), but for just 42mm, IBIS is fine.

Even more a surprise is the stills side, it exceeds the oly kit on every aspects. Even though EPL1 might not do corrections for this lens, images still look much better - more detailed, contrasted and uniform from edges to edges. In comparison, images from oly kit simply look too rough.

As you can see below, this lens really makes some colors popping out, especially with iEnhance enabled (the 2nd one), never seen from the oly kit.

sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:45 PM   #2

Default At 14mm, Panny vs. Oly

Panny:

Oly:

Last edited by sdcs; Mar 14, 2011 at 9:31 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:19 PM   #3

Default At 18mm geometric distortions are gone

The softness beyond central area now becomes sharp and firm. Corners are still darker though (light is at the left side).