Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 18, 2011, 8:11 PM   #1
Default older lenses for an E-PL2

I have an old Pentax DSLR with the following lenses (all '70's vintage/Japan):
1) Wolfpro 85-210 f/3.8 macro ('70's vintage/Japan)
2) SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm
3) SMC Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm
All glass is immaculate.
How would this glass work with an E-PL2 with a K adaptor?
And with my limited understanding of how these lenses would work I would be manual focusing, probably operating in aperture priority, correct? How would this glass limit me over current M4/3 lenses?
Thanks for any advice... this may impact on my decision to buy the camera... especially the reach of the 85-210.
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2011, 8:41 PM   #2

Hi Wes,

One of the benefits of the micro43 system is the fact that almost any lens can be used on one of the cameras with the aide of an adapter. Since Olympus uses in camera image stabilization, you also get the benefit of being able to use image stabilization with ANY lens.

The sensor in micro four thirds cameras is roughly 1/2 the size of a standard 35mm camera. The benefit to you is that the camera really only uses the center portion of the lens. Thus, if the lens suffers from CA or vignetting, it will be minimized as those problems typically occur on the outer edges of the lens.

One thing you should be aware of is that, since the micro43 has a 2X factor (because of the 1/2 sized sensor), your Pentax 50mm lenses will then become a 100mm 1.4 and a 100mm 2.0 lens. The Wolfpro will effectively become a 170mm-420mm lens.

The 2X factor can work for you as well as against you since the 50mm is a "normal" size lens but when you put it on an ELP-2 and becomes 100mm, it may not allow you to get shots that you thought you were.

As for what mode you should use when using a manual focus lens, I simply leave mine in auto mode. You will need to manually focus the lens, then rotate the aperture ring on the lens for the proper lighting, but the camera will do the rest.

One final thing you should know; everyone that is serious about using a Pen camera with manual focus lenses has purchased an EV-2 EVF attachement.
It makes manually focusing a lens a snap. Without it, and it will be a bit more difficult to focus.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 9:42 PM   #3
Default Good answer~ thanks!

Hi, Zig-
Thanks so much for your detailed answer. You answered all my questions and confirmed some things that I thought were true. I appreciate your taking the time to give such a thorough answer.
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 2:23 PM   #4

The following article is very interesting: http://www.mu-43.com/f92/how-guide-u...-lenses-12347/

gostan is offline   Reply With Quote