Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Default Heavy lens support

When using a tripod with a long-length tele lens such as the Panny 100-300mm, I assume the tripod socket is strong enough to support the weight of the lens hanging out in front? At what point if adapting other lenses to the E-PL1/2 would one want to worry about providing additional support for the lens- such as a plate under the camera or some other means?
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:43 AM   #2

I often use my E-PL1 with both the 12-60 and 70-300 Digital Zuikos from my Olympus DSLR outfit, and both of those lenses are heavier than the Panasonic 100-300..

Panny 100-300- 1.14 pounds
Olympus 12-60- 1.27 pounds
Olympus 70-300- 1.36 pounds

Both Olympus lenses on an E-PL1 and with the E-PL1 mounted on a tripod is very useable. The tripod mount built into the body is more than capable of handling this amount of weight and so should be fine with a lens like the Panasonic 100-300. You probably need to go two times or more than this weight before it starts getting unweildy. A lens like my 50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD (over 3 pounds) is way too heavy to use with a tripod-mounted Pen, but that lens has its' own tripod mount so I would simply mount the lens on the tripod, then the Pen on the lens...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 15, 2011 at 3:17 PM. Reason: Added image
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote