Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:33 AM   #1
Default Just bought e-pl1, question about Panasonic 45-200

I recently purchased an E-pl1 and am considering what lenses to purchase. I have the 14-42 kit lens and a bag full of old OM lenses (28 mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7, 200mm f4). I have the OM adaptor but I'm not too happy trying to manually focus the 200mm. I can do it with a tripod, but there is no way to do it handheld. So I'm looking for a long telephoto that is a micro four thirds native. So far I'm attracted to the Panasonic 45-200 as my first choice.

I know Panasonic M4/3 lenses can be used with Olympus, but I'm wondering if there are any functions that I might lose by picking the Panny. I think the Olympus does some chromatic aberration correction digitally and maybe some barrel correction as well. I'm not sure about this, but I'm wondering if someone can enlighten me. The Olympus 14-150 isn't quite long enough for my taste. I am probably going to pick up a Panasonic f1.4 25mm eventually, so I won't be using the low end of the 14-150 anyway, and I already have the the 14-42 too.

Thanks in advance for taking time to respond. This is my first post on this forum. I'm very impressed by the knowledge and helpfulness of the posters here.
D B Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:51 AM   #2

Oly does not correct for CA, panny does. You will have some vig issues shooting wide open with the 45-200 with the lens hood at f 5.6, it goes way with 1 stop.

But I like the 45-200, it actually works very well on the epl-1, very sharp. And the combo produce excellent jpegs. And 400mm of reach is nice. You also have the option of shutting off the ibis of the epl-1 and using the OIS of the lens, it works a tad better, but it really drains the small battery. So I would keep OIS off and use IBIS instead.

That said, I also have the 14-150, and that lens is now my favorite travel lens. I leave the 14-42 and 45-200 home when I want to travel light. As it come very close to the image quality of the 2 lens setup.

Here are some epl-1 with the 45-200 shots.

The trained elephants of Chiang Mai in action

Chiang Mai Zoo in Thailand

Here are some with the 45-200 and how it compares with my canon t1i and the 70-300.

Opel Zoo, in Taunus Germany
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I purchased the Panny 45-200 and I am incredibly happy with the lens. It focuses accurately and quickly. The images are very sharp with just the right amount of depth of field.

I gave up my film slr years ago and have been struggling with the shortcomings all of the digital cameras that I have owned since then. It is really nice to have the control over DOF again. It is really nice to have clean images at something other than the lowest ISO speeds. The MFT lens choices aren't all I would wish for, but I'm still pretty happy with the setup.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:54 AM   #4
Default testing photo attachment

Testing to see if this works. Photo taken with E-PL1 and Panny 45-200. It is a female rufous hummingbird.