Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Default Not Sure What To Think Of This....

I'm not really much of a fan of rumors sites, but by the time they get to the point of the lead article today, it's usually pretty accurate...

Not quite sure what to make of a 12-50 zoom with an aperture range of f3.5-6.3.

f6.3 at 50mm?

I can understand 300mm and f6.7. The 70-300 f4-5.6 four-thirds Zuiko when zoomed to 300mm is best stopped down a little and the micro model at 300mm and wide open at f6.7 is sharp, but even with some sort of macro capability, it sure seems like this new lens will be a hard sell.

Makes me glad I chose to go with the prime set in this range ahead of this "news". There will be a lot of people who were hoping for a micro version of the four-thirds 12-60 f2.8-4 (which also focuses pretty darn close on its' own) that are going to be disappointed if the specs listed on that site are accurate.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:27 AM   #2

Well, I've been following this rumor on 43rumors for a few weeks now. But to see the specs today, was a big letdown. My main lens for landscapes has been the 12-60mm SWD as it does do a good job in low light (morning) landscapes scenes. I had then 9-18mm m43 lens but decided to sell it as I actually preferred the results with the 12-60SWD-even on the E-PL1 or E-P2.

But this new 12-50mm -if the information is accurate is Slooowwwww.
The 12mm m43 would better solution.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:06 AM   #3

Well, there it is....

Hard to see the sense in it. Once you get smaller than f11 optics start to suffer from diffraction in this format so here you are, at 50mm and are stuck with just over 2 useable, slow aperture options. The power zoom is supposedly for movies, but at f6.3 you need stabilization and in movie mode Olympus' IS system shuts down and you're stuck with digital stabilization, and at f6.3 closeup shooting is virtually a tripod only option.

Not what I would call an optimal situation, and then they go and make it dust and splash proof, which probably more than doubles the price. A lens with beginner speed and professional build-quality.

Hard to figure what the thinking is here. This is one of the first Digital Zuikos I have ever seen that looks DOA and I can say, without any hesitation, I have absolutely no desire to own and it's hard to see any logical reason why anyone else would, either.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote