Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:09 PM   #1
Default Some snow and a surprise

Well, it had to happen eventually. We woke up this morning to some snow showers. This is the first snow for us, here on Cape Cod this season. Not that it was a big deal. We got a dusting of ocean effect snow. But, enough to remind us what is ahead.

I grabbed the E-PL1 and found that it had an Olympus 50mm f1.8 OM lens on it.
Can't remember when or why I put it on, but took it outside and snapped this shot.

The surprise happened later on this evening, when I decided to download the files I took today onto the Mac. What I hadn't realized was that there were a few files from this summer that I had forgotten about.

You see, the above 3 photos were taken while leading photo walks through the village of Hyannis, here on the Cape. The Photo walks are sponsored by the Cape Cod Art Association as a means of helping visitors to the area take better photographs as well as give them a bit of history on the area. As a member of the association, I was the tour guide each Monday morning leading anywhere from 1 to 6 people. The camera I chose to bring along was the E-PL1. Most often it had the 12-60mm SWD lens mounted. I also brought along a 14-42mm lens as well as a gorilla pod.

My logic in bringing the E-PL1 instead of a dslr was simply that most of the people on the tour usually had simple point & shoot cameras with them. Occasionally, I had one or two people with dlsrs, but that was the exception.

The E-PL1 turned out to be the perfect fit for leading the tour. It was small, non-intimidating, and the quality was outstanding especially when the 12-60mm SWD lens was used. Most people on the tour were curious about the E-PL1 and were really surprised how easy it was to get good results with it.

Anyways, I was happy to see these images as they were a pleasant reminder of warmer times.

This is one taken earlier in July:
It was also used to show people on the one way to photograph a flower:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:20 PM   #2

Very interesting, Zig, and really nice shots, especially the flowers.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:03 AM   #3

Nice surprise!

That snow image you shot has a postcard quality to it. Beautiful image. Even prettier knowing it was not me out there shooting it!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:46 PM   #4

Yep, the COLD rain here today is enough for me but first snowfalls are always special, I remember them pretty well from long ago and the memories satisfy me.
boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:25 AM   #5

Nice shots! I've always wanted to vacation in Cape Cod. It's so scenic in the summer months, especially around the fishing docks.
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote