Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1

Talking Ah....hem....a few 12-50 M. Zuiko images

Captured with the E-P3. Yes, I know.....

Seems plenty sharp to me at 50mm..

12mm, too..

And the Macro setting, where the lens locks at 43mm,,

The lens has some unique features. There's a button on the barrel that, when pressed, locks focus. I have been using that a lot. Really convenient. Another cool feature is, if you are zoomed to 12mm (or anywhere else) and focus, if you then zoom the lens, it continues to refocus as you zoom even if you do not have your finger on the shutter release.

Build quality is at least 2-3 steps above the 14-42. The black one looks pretty cool on my E-P3, too .
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:56 PM   #2

........continued tempting! Yes, it appears sharp end to end. I read about the focus lock and the re-register focus, does it work that way with both manual and electronic zooming? Isn't there also a Fn button on the lens?

I was out today, summer already, with the FT 40-150 to get a feel for using it. The lens works well with decently quick AF, it is certainly usable.

At one time it seemed the lens was not focusing, but the files looked ok. It took a bit but what had happened was the VF-2 eye-cup had rotated to far +. I really don't like the big eye cup on the VF-2, it just is clumsy, I don't get the benefit of its bare eyed fit and it grabs hold of anything that gets near obviuously rotating the diopter setting. I wish I hadn't lost the original.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Feb 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:14 AM   #3

You know, Greg, I have to admit I was critical of the 12-50 when it was first announced, specifically because of its overall kit-lens type of aperture - particularly f/6.3 at the long end. But these images have that 3-D quality that people talk about with the best optics. There's no getting around it, the 12-50 puts out professional level images. Of course, you being the guy behind the camera didn't hurt either. Bravo!
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
........continued tempting! Yes, it appears sharp end to end. I read about the focus lock and the re-register focus, does it work that way with both manual and electronic zooming? Isn't there also a Fn button on the lens?

I was out today, summer already, with the FT 40-150 to get a feel for using it. The lens works well with decently quick AF, it is certainly usable.

At one time it seemed the lens was not focusing, but the files looked ok. It took a bit but what had happened was the VF-2 eye-cup had rotated to far +. I really don't like the big eye cup on the VF-2, it just is clumsy, I don't get the benefit of its bare eyed fit and it grabs hold of anything that gets near obviuously rotating the diopter setting. I wish I hadn't lost the original.
The Fn button is one you use to lock focus, and yes it does work that way whether you are manually or electronically zooming. I have a feeling it can be customized with cameras that can and used in other ways. Not sure if the E-P3 is. I may need to check and see if there's a firmware update. Otherwise, it may just be the E-M5 that can change the function.

The "problem" I an having with the VF-2 outdoors is, my glasses have the transitions coating that darkens outdoors, making the view quite dark. I just ordered a new pair of glasses "photography specs" without the transitions coating so I can see better what the heck it is I'm shooting outside!

I have to admit, the electronic zoom mechanism is quite svelte. Smooth as a baby's butt and goes faster or slow, depending on how severe you twist the control. So far though, I've been using it manually to save the extra battery power.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:18 AM   #5

Hi Greg: all are good, but the macro shots just leap off the page on my monitor. Well done!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:48 AM   #6

Very nice. The pics appear to have that "Kodachrome slide" look back from the film days.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The lens has some unique features. There's a button on the barrel that, when pressed, locks focus. I have been using that a lot. Really convenient. Another cool feature is, if you are zoomed to 12mm (or anywhere else) and focus, if you then zoom the lens, it continues to refocus as you zoom even if you do not have your finger on the shutter release.
I had an old Minolta lens a few years ago that had the same focus button feature. Very convenient indeed. The G3 (and I imagine the EP3 does too) allows me to set the Fn button to AF/AE Lock. I really don't understand why they call it AF/AE because in reality it does not lock focus, just exposure. To lock focus I have to half press the shutter every time. Having that option on the lens is awesome.

The continue focus as you zoom in/out is also very handy but I bet it uses quite a bit of battery power. Is this a function you can somehow disable?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I had an old Minolta lens a few years ago that had the same focus button feature. Very convenient indeed. The G3 (and I imagine the EP3 does too) allows me to set the Fn button to AF/AE Lock. I really don't understand why they call it AF/AE because in reality it does not lock focus, just exposure. To lock focus I have to half press the shutter every time. Having that option on the lens is awesome.

The continue focus as you zoom in/out is also very handy but I bet it uses quite a bit of battery power. Is this a function you can somehow disable?
I'm betting the Fn button on the lens is something one will be able to configure, if the body allows it. I have not checked yet into whether there is a firmware update for the E-P3 I have not done. It's possible. When I first mounted the lens I went to the menu system where you can configure the various Fn buttons and the button on the lens did not come up as a configurable button, but if I am missing a firmware upgrade to the E-P3.....I just need to check. The default operation of the Fn button on my E-P3 is as an AF stop button. If I release the button, single AF resumes, so I have to keep it pressed down (for now) in order to use it. No doubt, the E-M5 will be able to customize this button out of the box.

I have not yet seen a way to disable the zoom refocus. In single AF, it only refocuses as you zoom so it does not use too much extra battery power, but any extra use is less you have to use otherwise. That's definitely why I'm not using the electronic zoom feature.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:03 PM   #9

I'm sure you'll be able to tell how much quicker the battery discharges if you use the lens extensively. I'm surprised that the EP3 does not let you customize the AF stop button. Usually you can have the fn button set to HOLD ON or OFF. I never like to have to keep holding a button as I take a picture. I much prefer to push the button and release it keeping the action performed by it until I either push it again or turn the camera off. Some cameras, the AE lock will be in effect until you take the first picture. Then it goes back to normal. Others, AE will remain locked indefinitely until you either press the button to unlock it or turn the camera off.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Mar 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:32 PM   #10

Me too. I have the lock hold option on the E-P3 set to on, so I can take my finger off the AE lock after pressing and it stays. It could well be that's how the on-lens Fn button will work on the E-M5....maybe even on the E-P3. I just looked. The current firmware version on my E-P3 is 1.1, and I see there is a 1.2 update and it deals with electronic zoom lenses.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM.