Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Default Last of winter (hopefully)

Here on the west end of Lake Ontario we have not had much of a winter. Think I shoveled snow maybe twice. So it was a bit of a surprise last week when I went up to "Edge of Winter" (Kawartha Lakes region). My wife was leading a product knowledge session so the dog and I went out in search of a park. Got lost but finally found the conservation area for a good walk. Really appreciated the signs mentioning that the black bears have not been active yet.

First shot is Fenelon Falls, could have used a neutral density filter to smooth out the water...

After walking in dense cedar bush came across this clearing with a water pump in the centre...

Interesting process to bring out the red of the backlit pump against the snow background.

And finally the sun made an appearance for this wintery scene...

Temperatures were about -10C and I left the camera outside my jacket. After a couple of hours, the manual focus ring was quite stiff, and my fingers did not appreciate being outside the gloves.

Next day took a short drive up to the "bad lands" an area were the local erosion has revealed the underlying clay. Temperatures had shot up to +14C. As a result, mud.

E-PL1, M.Zuiko 40-150 and M.Zuiko kit lens mk1.
Images shot as raw, converted to adobe DNG and finished in photoshop -- slowly getting a handle on the raw processing and liking the results

Last edited by KulaCube; Mar 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: correct image addresses
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:48 AM   #2

Nice! I'll be glad when winter is over. Weather is getting close to take some shooting trips.
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:45 AM   #3

That red clay reminds me of the ground along the Red River at Wichita Falls, Texas where I grew up. Rain would hit it and just soak in like a sponge. Nice-looking country to go for a hike.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote