Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:46 PM   #1
Smile ....the Great Blue Heron does spear fish and

here's proof.

This GBH was busy hunting lunch when I saw it today. I followed it around a city park pond for a bit when it suddenly stopped, did the stalk and lunged lightening quick into the water..... and speared the catfish. Then it was snap some shots as the heron worked at swallowing it.

Some park walkers came by and the heron flew across the pond with the fish. I watched across the way and could see it 'wetting' the fish and working it when all at once the neck straightened and the head went up.... down the gullet and lunch was had.

These were made with the E-P3 and Zuiko FT 70-300

......a couple shots of the first sunflower I've seen this year, a fun day to be out with the camera.

boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:00 PM   #2

Great capture on the GBH, BoBB
No.3 is VERY nice

The FT 70-300 is a Very good lens. Isn't it ?
Telephoto and Macro shooting without changing the lens. Brilliant
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Default Thanks

I have heard that herons would spear larger fish, but always found it a little hard to believe. Thanks for the evidence. I'll have to keep a closer eye on my koi.
D B Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:09 AM   #4

Goodness! That was a mouthful. Great captures.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 4:31 AM   #5

A wonder that bird could fly after eating that catfish!!

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:03 AM   #6

Amazing shots. You could not get that close to the herons around here, very spooky. We have a very large pond about two miles from my house that the herons frequent. As soon as you pull the car over and stop, they are gone. One would need to build a blind and get there early in the morning and with a long lens. I'm guessing even the glare from the lens would spook them.

>D B Cooper. I know a guy who has a Koi pond and when he first set it up, he bought about 400 bucks worth of Koi. Within a week they were all gone. He got up early one morning and saw a heron in his pond and you know the rest of the story.
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:12 PM   #7

Excellent shots Bob. That camera/lens combo has really been working well for you. The focus, contrast, and color are spot-on for all your shots.

Yep, I have GBH in my backyard regularly, and I can attest that they spear their fish. I have some photos of them with the speared fish.

(I normally have two nests of Great Blue Herons in the tall pine trees behind my pond. They come back every year. It is also weird to hear the guys talk about how far away they stay. Down here, they are not that skittish. In fact, this morning as I was in my backyard flower garden, a GBH came walking by on the grass as he was scoping out the pond looking for fish. I had time to go in the house and get the camera and grab a few shots before he left. )
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:16 AM   #8

I guess you could say that bird got right to the point of the matter!
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote