Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:51 PM   #1
Default The Photo Session That Saved My Car

I stopped in Highland Park this evening to try a few closeups with the new Kenko tubes that arrived today. As I finished and started on my way home, I heard about a bad storm close by that was dumping large hail, so I swung west and came in from behind the cloud to an area with hundreds of smashed windshields, leaves and tree branches laying everywhere and hail piled up on the ground. I think my car is probably one of 4-5 this evening with all the glass still in-tact.

The tubes work great. The wildflowers are looking a little ragged at this point with some extended heat days, but I can't wait to get the outfit out this weekend and try some stuff, maybe with the tripod so I can keep the ISO's down with the 75-300 Micro Zuiko. Handheld they were running anywhere from 640-1250, which was the max top I had set.

Captured raw with the E-P3 and processed in CS6. This setup with an E-M5 would be really, really nice. The single, smaller 10mm tube actually works great for closeups with both the 75-300 and the 45mm f1.8. Combining both tubes just increases magnification even more and puts a larger strain on the already shallow depth of field.

With the 10mm tube on the 75-300..

With both tubes and at 300mm..

This was with the 45/1.8, the 10mm tube and at f2. Should have used at least f2.8 for better depth of focus on the subject..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:25 PM   #2

Wow !!!! Those a great!
Portfolio: http://agilephotography.deviantart.com/

Gears: Olympus Gears including E-620, OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 25 and 45mm f1.8 and MMF3 4/3 adapters. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm, 35mm Macro, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye and 85mm f1.4, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter ... and it is more than enough ... I hope!
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:26 PM   #3

...... Just watched the news, bad stuff in Dallas. Though it rained at the Rangers game the sun never did not shine here on the west side of Arlington, no wind, no rain, no damage, we were lucky this time.

The first run from the Kenkos looks great, I'm hoping we find some interesting 'close-up' subjects Saturday. I will try getting by Veterans park for a look at the wildflower and wilds ape areas there and also Stovall Park on Sublett Rd.
boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:05 AM   #4

Really nice shots. Those tubes work very well.
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote