Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:11 AM   #1

Default Lightroom "Lens Profiles"

Is there any way to get a lens profile for Panasonic lenses on my Olympus E-PL2?

Going through vacation photos and noticed a few shots that have pretty noticeable "blemishes" that I'm assuming is chromatic aberrations where very light hits into very dark. One shot in particular, where I have some blown "sparkles" on the surface of the water, it's leaving red and blue marks large enough to be noticeable even while viewing pretty small. That type of thing normally doesn't really bother me.

Anyhow, I have read just enough to know that Panasonic cameras correct the issue in Panasonic lenses, but Olympus cameras do not. I've also read that the issue is "easily fixable" in Lightroom. I've tried using the manual controls in LR but they haven't been much help. That got me down the road of looking at these Lens Profiles--seems to me that if it's done right in camera by Panny then something must be out there that I can just apply to every RAW and not worry about it.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:21 AM   #2

Which version of Lightroom are you using? With the newest updated version of Version 4, there's a check one-box fix for CA that pretty much does it with no need to use the sliders.

In any event, there are no Adobe-created lens profiles since they use the in-camera data to "correct" the lenses. When it comes to Olympus bodies, as you noted, Olympus has chosen to not correct CA so it is up to the user.

There have been some profiles created by users that can be uploaded from various places, but I have no idea where to find them. You'll just have to google it and check or ask the question over in the micro four-thirds forum at DPReview. I just check that box in Adobe Camera RAW for CS6 (same as the Development window in Lightroom) and it's fixed 99% of the time. For the 1% when it does not work 100%, a little tweeking of the sliders is all it takes.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Which version of Lightroom are you using? With the newest updated version of Version 4, there's a check one-box fix for CA that pretty much does it with no need to use the sliders.

In any event, there are no Adobe-created lens profiles since they use the in-camera data to "correct" the lenses. When it comes to Olympus bodies, as you noted, Olympus has chosen to not correct CA so it is up to the user.

There have been some profiles created by users that can be uploaded from various places, but I have no idea where to find them. You'll just have to google it and check or ask the question over in the micro four-thirds forum at DPReview. I just check that box in Adobe Camera RAW for CS6 (same as the Development window in Lightroom) and it's fixed 99% of the time. For the 1% when it does not work 100%, a little tweeking of the sliders is all it takes.
Ah, I'm using 3.4 (3.6? Whatever the latest version of 3 was). I got it on sale and figured I should probably get more comfortable with how to use it before justifying the upgrade cost. Other than the CA correction you noted, do you think the benefits of 4 would be noticeable to a novice like me?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:07 AM   #4

Lightroom 4 has significant upgrades in the RAW processor. Highlight and shadow controls are all big upgrades in addition to the chromatic aberration corrections. There's also now the ability to make local adjustments, where in the past you would have to process a file multiple times and use layers and masks in Photoshop to achieve the same results, and they cut the price of Lightroom in half to $149.95. While I was waiting for the upgrade for CS5 to CS6, I purchased Lightroom 4 to try out all the upgrades. It's pretty sweet.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Lightroom 4 has significant upgrades in the RAW processor. Highlight and shadow controls are all big upgrades in addition to the chromatic aberration corrections. There's also now the ability to make local adjustments, where in the past you would have to process a file multiple times and use layers and masks in Photoshop to achieve the same results, and they cut the price of Lightroom in half to $149.95. While I was waiting for the upgrade for CS5 to CS6, I purchased Lightroom 4 to try out all the upgrades. It's pretty sweet.

Good to know. Thanks, that all sounds good (esp. the "local adjustments"). Looks like I can get an upgrade version for about 75 bucks so it sounds like a no-brainer, as soon as I finish plowing through this dang "How to use LR3" book.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:51 AM   #6

Just as an aside if people are thinking about LR4--just read that this new version doesn't support Windows XP. I'd still like to do this but the thought of backing everything up, wiping the HD, making sure all my hardware will still work on Windows 7 . . . blah. Might have to wait.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:50 PM   #7

Yep, they're finally starting to leave XP behind. When I bought my machine, they were just introducing Windows 7. I went instead with a final version of Vista, which has given me no problems, but it will be next in a year or two.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:34 PM   #8

As long as the Light Room topic is up. Does anyone using it feel that it's easier to use than Elements? I'm thinking I don't need everything Elements provides and I'd like to simplify it a little but still have a good program.