Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:27 AM   #1

Default Looking for a 60mm f2.8 Macro M. Zuiko

They probably are about to start hitting the shelves. Last night when I got home there was a voice mail from Arlington Camera. I was on their list and my copy is now at the store. B&H is currently showing 10/31 as the target in-stock date, so we should start seeing it available soon.

I'm picking mine up Thursday .

Greg
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:59 PM   #2

Quote:
I'm picking mine up Thursday .
In the email I thought I read that you would let me to pick it up today (Tuesday), I may not be back by Friday but I can leave it in the mailbox out front, Saturday, if that is ok..... otherwise I can be back in town next Tuesday.

I hope that sucker is as good as it looks............. let me know if you called Mrs. Johnson and asked her to let me carry it off.

tnx & slobberin', your friend Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:54 PM   #3

I do remember you saying you would be kind enough to pick it up for me...

We can get together over in one of those great parks and share it doing some closeups. We need to meet anyway. I still have all those post cards from Zig I was supposed to share.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:24 AM   #4

This is probably an ignorant question, but do you think it will be useful as a portrait-type lens too? I know it can be used for more "standard" photography (as opposed to macro) but if it works well that way, this could end up being a very useful lens indeed.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:07 PM   #5

I have the 4/3 model with an adaptor and I just love it. Very sharp. I don't know whether the micro 4/3 model is similar in performance or not.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
This is probably an ignorant question, but do you think it will be useful as a portrait-type lens too? I know it can be used for more "standard" photography (as opposed to macro) but if it works well that way, this could end up being a very useful lens indeed.
I will be using it as a general purpose short-tele prime and for closeups, just as I have used the 50mm f2 four-thirds Zuiko. I absolutely could see using it as a portrait lens. High optical quality and rounded aperture mechanism, everything I can see points to it being a great portrait shooter. I will most likely be posting some samples by the end of this coming weekend where I will have tried it doing all of those.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I have the 4/3 model with an adaptor and I just love it. Very sharp. I don't know whether the micro 4/3 model is similar in performance or not.
Should be similar, other than the Micro 60mm f2.8 is both a longer focal length and has a somewhat faster maximum aperture than the 35mm f3.5 Four-Thirds Macro Zuiko, the Micro lens also has a multiple-option af limit switch, allowing you to limit the lens to focus within the working range you want to use vs the racking back & forth across the entire range like the two four-thirds macros can do if they get "confused".

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:39 AM   #8

I hear you Greg. My 4/3 macro will occassionally focus hunt especially if there isn't much contrast in the scene.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:20 PM   #9

Yeah, the focus limit switch option is the biggest omission in the four-thirds macro lenses. There's been more than a time or two I wish the 50mm f2 macro had a focus limit switch.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:04 PM   #10

Of all the micro four thirds lenses available or about to be released, the one
that interests me the most is the Olympus 75mm 1.8. Not an inexpensive lens, mind you, but it does remind me of the older OM 135mm lenses that were so popular in their day.

I look forward to seeing it released and available as I'd like to see just how good it would be for a portrait lens. Not to mention, a pretty good focal length for sports, action, indoor concerts, etc.

Besides, the build quality looks very impressive.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote