Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:56 PM   #11

Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I don't know, Greg. You bring up some good points but I still find it hard to justify spending that kind of money when you can get similar lenses for a lot less. I guess it all depends on whether you have the extra floating $$$. I have many lenses that offer a distance scale but to be honest, I hardly ever use it. I find the scale to be helpful on MF lenses but not so much on AF ones. Then again, that's just me...not a sophisticated photographer!
It's not really a matter of just the snap mode, although I have used it more than a few times and like having the option.

Assuming the build quality of the 17mm f1.8 mirrors that of the 12mm f2, that is the main thing you are paying for compared to the price of the 20mm f1.7. I have both the 12mm f2 M. Zuiko and a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and they are on quite different levels build quality-wise. The 20mm lens is really well made. Every Panasonic four-thirds or micro four-thirds lens I have ever seen or owned is very well made.

The 12mm f2 is in another sphere. It's really not even close. The extra $144 you'd pay (B&H prices, $355 for the 20 Panny and $499 for the 17/1.8), besides a little extra wider coverage, is for the really, really nice all-metal construction.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:08 PM   #12

BTW....Bob, I received the hood today for the 60mm f2.8. Quite a cool piece. I have owned a couple of lenses in the past with hoods that collapse down like this for storage and that is a great design. Certainly makes adjusting for up-close shooting easy. Just slide it back as far as you need to.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:08 AM   #13

yeah I saw the 17mm f1.8 and thought hmm that is nice but I agree for the money it has too much competition near the focal length, you've got;

Panasonic 14mm f2.5
Olympus 15mm f8
Olympus 17mm f2.8
Sigma 19mm f2.8
Panasonic 20mm f1.7

I am sure it will beat all those lenses in terms of build construction and IQ but it is a hard sell when the market is this crowded.

I would have much preferred Olympus made a new 25mm or 24mm for $399~299, that would have been a winner in sales.
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:30 AM   #14

Well, I am still in love with using my FT 9-18 and for any other at 17mm I have all those other lenses that will shoot at 17mm so I am still happy and saving for the next OM-D camera.

Greg, the 60mm lens hood is what makes that lens so darn interesting to me, it was the first thing I noticed.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote