Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:05 PM   #1

Default EPL-1 with Summilux 25mm f/1.4 OR the Panasonic GF3XT with a LUMIX G X Vario PZ 14-42

I have an EPL-1 and just bought myself a 25mm f1/4 summilux lens (main problem i was having with the EPL-1 kit lens was not being able to take pics in low light).

Just found a good deal for a GF3 XT camera with a Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm lens… and wanted to know if should return the 25mm lens and get this GF3 instead?

Is the kit lens on the GF3 better than the EPL-1 kit lens?

Thanks!
singaporegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:40 PM   #2

I have heard that the Panny lens is a tad better but that's not going to do much for you in low light. Your Leica will ideal for those situations.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:09 PM   #3

I do not believe the GF3 has one of the more up-to-date, improved sensors. There's probably a good reason why it's a good deal right now....they're trying to dump them as fast as possible.

The GX1 is Panasonic's latest non-finder body with the best sensor update. I do not think one is any better with a GF3 than one would be using a GF1 or GF2 from an image quality standpoint.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:05 PM   #4

The lens with the gf3 and the epl1 kit lens is a was in comparison. They m4/3 correct corrects the issues with the lenses.

For low light keep the f1.4 lens. The gf3 kit lens will preform just the same as the epl1 kit lens. And the GF3 sensor is the same as the first GF, not as good as the epl1 in low light. like Greg said the newer sensor is much better, the old one was lacking.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:41 AM   #5

The 25mm is a very good lens (although on the expensive side), excellent for low light shooting. The EPL1 struggles to focus in low light, so it will be the limiting factor. I particularly don't care for the GF series except for the very first model. If you are thinking about upgrading the EPL1, I'd consider the EP3 or the new EPL5. The G3 is also e very nice body and one can find some real good deals right now.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:57 PM   #6

It really depends on the lens you are using with the epl1. With a f1.7 or better, it has no issue in low light. With 3.5-5.6 lenses, it does. I use the epl1 in low light all the time with a big aperture lens and never has focus issues.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporegirl View Post
I have an EPL-1 and just bought myself a 25mm f1/4 summilux lens (main problem i was having with the EPL-1 kit lens was not being able to take pics in low light).

Just found a good deal for a GF3 XT camera with a Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm lens… and wanted to know if should return the 25mm lens and get this GF3 instead?

Is the kit lens on the GF3 better than the EPL-1 kit lens?

Thanks!
The GF3 is a couple of models versions old now, I would not recommend buying one as it will only be a little better than the e-pl1, if at all.

If you wanted you can probably pick up the Panasonic kit lens under $100 on ebay all day.

The panasonic kit lenses are somewhat better from what I read but until you get to the new Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 ($1000) zoom you are not going to see enough of an improvement to be worth it.

If I were you I would keep the 25mm f1.4 and save money for additional lenses and an upgrade to a newer sensored camera like the E-PM2 or E-PL5.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 3:26 PM   #8

Hi,

I also own an Olympus EPL-1 and have only the 14-42 f3.5-5.6 kit lens.

How much faster is the 25mm f1/4 summilux lens ?
Does this lens solve the problem with EPL-1 in low light ? (the problem that the kit lens can't focus)
Could you take photos of your children in dark rooms ?

Ps: i have 2 little children (2 and 5 years old)

Thanks,
Nicholas
Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 3:31 PM   #9

Might want to read actual user reviews here also.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...costumerReview
Old Dec 25, 2012, 4:49 PM   #10

Thank you James!

it looks like as it would be a very good lens.

The EPL-1 is my first interchangeable lens camera.
My other problem is that i have never had a fixed lens yet.
I want to buy only 1 more lens (for general purpose).

The focal length 25mm (it would be then 50mm compared to 35mm systems) is maybe not wide enough (but 14mm is wider i want).

Could it be the Oly 17mm f1.8 the solution ?
What do you mean James ?

Thanks,
Nicholas
Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote