Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Default A macro of coral

Took this with my 35mm macro. The more I use PSE10 the more I hate it. Just to edit a pic in jpg you have to go through a bunch of crap so you can edit the pic in RAW mode. Why can't they just let you edit in jpg without going through all that crap. I'm about ready to uninstall the program. There are other quirks I don't like about it, for one, your files do not automatically get put into PSE10. You have to import them. First editing program I've used that does this. Any way, I have learned that shooting at low aperture really limits the focus range with this lens. Some areas are reasonably sharp while others are not.

P7090382_edited-1 by James Gasta, on Flickr
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:45 PM   #2

James,

it is a really cool texture and color but like you said the focus is soft on some parts while decently sharp on others.

Did you shoot this out of the water or through a layer of water? I'm thinking maybe the refractory effects of the water hurt the image a bit?

I don't know much about PSE10. Recently tried LR4 on a 30 day demo and I was not impressed to be honest. I don't know if maybe I wasn't using it quite right (I always thought the adobe products were supposed to be easy to use?!?!) but I couldn't get results that were significantly better than what I can do with Olympus Viewer. At this point in my post processing I have reverted to mostly UFRAW and GIMP but being an IT guy the buggyness and painful setup I can deal with. Other than that I found Corel After Shot Pro to be a really nice tool for RAW processing, the lens corrections are the best I have seen. I expected LR4 to beat it but when I downloaded the trial from Adobe I didn't see any MFT lenses supported!?!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:56 PM   #3

This was shot through aquarium glass. I need to experiment more with the lenses capabilities. For one I must shoot at a higher ISO so I can stop down a few more stops and increase the focus range. Yes, it would be difficult for some one just to load PSE10 and get to work. I had to go to an Adobe Forum which helped me out considerably but I am not happy with it at all. I have the Oly Viewer but I have never loaded it. I might have to take a look at it because I'm getting sick of PSE10. I guess I bought it because I got a super deal on it. I should be able to sell it for a decent price. And, when you buy a program like that, you shouldn't have to go here/there/everywhere looking for information on how to do something. You should at least get a digital manual for it. I'm sure if you spent a gazillion hours with it, the program may be easy to use but I for one do not have that kind of patience. I just wish my Canon DPP could read Oly RAW files because that was a really nice program to use. I just may go back to that and just shoot jpeg. I tried loading Oly RAW files but the Canon program doesn't recognize it and I was told it wouldn't. Maybe I would have been much better off just keeping my Canon 40D and lenses and I wouldn't be on another learning program with a camera and editing software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
James,

it is a really cool texture and color but like you said the focus is soft on some parts while decently sharp on others.

Did you shoot this out of the water or through a layer of water? I'm thinking maybe the refractory effects of the water hurt the image a bit?

I don't know much about PSE10. Recently tried LR4 on a 30 day demo and I was not impressed to be honest. I don't know if maybe I wasn't using it quite right (I always thought the adobe products were supposed to be easy to use?!?!) but I couldn't get results that were significantly better than what I can do with Olympus Viewer. At this point in my post processing I have reverted to mostly UFRAW and GIMP but being an IT guy the buggyness and painful setup I can deal with. Other than that I found Corel After Shot Pro to be a really nice tool for RAW processing, the lens corrections are the best I have seen. I expected LR4 to beat it but when I downloaded the trial from Adobe I didn't see any MFT lenses supported!?!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:31 PM   #4

COREL ASP is a great tool for modifying JPG files too..... It works the same non-destructive way that RAW processing does.

No cataloging import function is required, just point to the data directory, set an output directory and that is all ASP requires. That is how Bibble Pro was designed in the beginning and how ASP works, very easy and a very good editor,

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:59 PM   #5

That's After Shot Pro, correct Bob?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
COREL ASP is a great tool for modifying JPG files too..... It works the same non-destructive way that RAW processing does.

No cataloging import function is required, just point to the data directory, set an output directory and that is all ASP requires. That is how Bibble Pro was designed in the beginning and how ASP works, very easy and a very good editor,
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:55 PM   #6

I do not like working in Lightroom nearly as much as Photoshop CS6. Having to import pictures "into Lightroom" before the program can see them is, as you said....a load of CR@P. Just find the d@mn picture where I downloaded it in my computer and let me work with it from there. That's what Photoshop does. I don't need a program to sort my images for me. I load them into my computer, put them where I want them and have no problem finding what I am looking for, when I need it. Elements is worse in that not only does it work like Lightroom in the importing, but it does not include several Camera RAW panes/tools, crippling the things you can do to a file.

Anyways.....back to the image. The 35mm f3.5 Zuiko definitely does not lack for the ability to render fine detail in loads. Depth of field really gets narrow at this magnification. Olympus America is selling a lot of old-new stock OM focusing rails and stages on eBay right now and I'm considering picking a set up to use with the E-M5+60mm f2.8 macro combination to make focusing up close easier and support so I can stop down and gain a little more depth of field when I'm getting really close.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:24 PM   #7

What are focusing rails and stages Greg? BTW I did download a free trial of Corel ASP and I was able to do basic editing very easily and the file ladder was present in the left side bar, no problems. Seems to do a better job sharpening than PSE10 also.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:35 PM   #8

Rails are a device you set on the top of a tripod. The stage is a device that sits on top of the rails and you screw the camera into the stage using a lug nut just like setting the camera up on a tripod. You can then use the focus rails to move the camera and lens in or out in small, fine increments. It makes focusing up close much easier. Of coure, you have to then be dealing with a tripod which is more of a pain than handholding . Here's a picture of the device..

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/...ing-stage.html

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:35 PM   #9

James, I see I am tardy here, glad you got the file....

HINT.... to save an edited file to a directory other than the original!

I create a directory i.e. Veterans Park
.........................within Veterans Park I create a sub-directory RAW

I load my new OOC image files to RAW and set destination to the primary directory, in this example Veterans Park

I can find files from years ago by going to an annual (2013, 2012, 2011, 2010,....... 1990)
i.e. 2012 Parks, Veterans Park, RAW (all my RAW data for veterans park 2012 & all my edited JPG files are in Veterans Park)

-) left margin (File system) right-click the F JPEG Full Size

-) left click settings

-) in the opened panel, 2nd line (Destination) browse to the desired output directory and click OK to that

*** everything else in that panel is good as is until you may decide on changing some.

Greg said, "I don't need a program to sort my images for me. I load them into my computer, put them where I want them and have no problem finding what I am looking for, when I need it."

....exactly how ASP works, you always know where and what you are working with and totally non-destructive whether RAW or JPG

James it doesn't cost anything to try something different, this is a link to Corel ASPro trial download, direct from Corel ==>
http://tinyurl.com/cb6pjyp

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I do not like working in Lightroom nearly as much as Photoshop CS6. Having to import pictures "into Lightroom" before the program can see them is, as you said....a load of CR@P. Just find the d@mn picture where I downloaded it in my computer and let me work with it from there. That's what Photoshop does. I don't need a program to sort my images for me. I load them into my computer, put them where I want them and have no problem finding what I am looking for, when I need it. Elements is worse in that not only does it work like Lightroom in the importing, but it does not include several Camera RAW panes/tools, crippling the things you can do to a file.
I just import them from a LR dialog. That's probably the way the way they want you to use it, but I can see how it'd be a pain with images already in there. I'm not exactly the most organized person but I'm used to it now.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote