Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:18 PM   #1

Default First snow in Beaver Pennsylvania

The first where I didn't have to be at work, anyhow.

I ventured out and took all of these with the P20 (we're still in a "breaking in" period, haha). If any of you have any suggestions on how to expose the snow I'm all ears. Part of me thinks I should drag them up a bit higher.

I just really enjoy this man's fashion sense:

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Dec 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:17 PM   #2

THAT'S a lot of snow.

Looks like you did pretty well. The main problem meters have with snow is, they (meters) are all made to expose to a middle grey, so to expose a mainly white scene to show as white you have to use positive exposure compensation OR, spot meter the non-white areas to expose them correctly, which should then render the white areas as white. Make sure the histogram is enabled so you can see where the exposure values are and set your exposure to where it mainly falls on the right-hand side of the graph without clipping, which would turn the white areas as pure white with no detail.

That first image is cool. Like the pattern you captured there.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:28 AM   #3

I agree with Greg, these scenes are quite well done.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa

I just really enjoy this man's fashion sense:

Well he is wearing a green bay sweatshirt so he obviously has no sense :-) lol j/k I am a 49ers fan so GB is on my hate list.

Good shots though - I like the sidewalk shot for the depth. As far as exposure I think they are about right, much brighter the snow will loose texture..
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:10 PM   #5

They all look good to me. The snow looks white as it should be.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:08 PM   #6

They look very good to me as well. Nice job. BTW, what is a P20?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:14 PM   #7

Panasonic 20mm f1.7.

I'm getting better after a couple of years of deciphering my daughter's text messages.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Panasonic 20mm f1.7.

I'm getting better after a couple of years of deciphering my daughter's text messages.

Haha.

Yeah, I had seen the abbreviation a few other places and thought I was the only one not cool enough to be using/understanding it yet.

I actually set a few of these to over-expose to compensate because of the "snow effect" you mentioned (+1/3 to +1 EV)--but it blew out the snow or sky (though losing sky was no great loss) in a lot of cases, so for the most part I just turned it up a bit in lightroom. I think for the most part it looks okay but was just wondering what people though.

But now, since we've had this one nice day with the snow and everything, it could go ahead and stop and be spring now, thanks. Haha.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:07 AM   #9

Was this taken near a Walmart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Well he is wearing a green bay sweatshirt so he obviously has no sense :-) lol j/k I am a 49ers fan so GB is on my hate list.

Good shots though - I like the sidewalk shot for the depth. As far as exposure I think they are about right, much brighter the snow will loose texture..
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I actually set a few of these to over-expose to compensate because of the "snow effect" you mentioned (+1/3 to +1 EV)--but it blew out the snow or sky ...
I'm not surprised as I find that the 20mm has the tendency to over expose. However, despite the lens you use, shooting snow can be tricky because of the amount of light it reflects. If you try to preserve the highlights, the overall image will look a bit dark. If you compensate, you end up with blown highlights.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote